Koodo Community

Community

Solved

FaceTime?

do I get charged for using FaceTime before 5pm?

16 replies

Userlevel 5
Facetime will use your DATA if you are not on a WiFi network. If you're at home or somewhere that you have a good WiFi signal Facetime will use the WiFi instead of using your DATA. Making it free. NOTE: Be careful! Facetime can really eat up your DATA so make sure you're on WiFi, especially since you're considering the $28 plan (Which I gathered from your other post) because that plan only has 100Mb.
tx so much Justin
Userlevel 5
Joyful Haven wrote:

tx so much Justin

My pleasure!
Userlevel 4
Exactly what Justin and very much agree with the the data. It eats it pretty fast. I would recommend only using it on wifi if your using FaceTime and it does use a bit when u iMessage. When I am out I switch to the text messaging cause they are already included in my plan
Userlevel 6
To give you a better idea, this is approximate of course, 10 minutes of video facetime takes up about 30MB on the Iphone 5S, the newer the phone, the higher the data consumption due to image quality.
ok tx so much Mathieu and Melissa
Way late for this customer but I want to give an update to others. Koodo does not support 3rd party applications like FaceTime, Skype, WhatsApp, etc. Essentially, you will be charged as though you used your regular minutes regardless if you are using WiFi or data. I was charged $20 for a FaceTime call from Canada to the US. I have been with Koodo for about 5 years and didn't know this. However, it is the first negative aspect of Koodo that I have encountered. I called in and was informed of this from customer support. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Marcus Corbould wrote:

Way late for this customer but I want to give an update to others. Koodo does not support 3rd par...

Sorry, Koodo does indeed support FaceTime, Skype, and WhatsApp, but they all use your data plan, if you are not connected to wi-fi. Those apps are also country agnostic - you can call another user anywhere, as long as you are in Canada. If you don't have a data plan already, then you would be charged pay-per-use data rates for your call. If you have a data plan, then the use of any of these Apps is included within your data allowance.

Marcus Corbould wrote:

Way late for this customer but I want to give an update to others. Koodo does not support 3rd par...

That is what I thought too but that is what I was told over the phone today. It is apparently in the new terms and conditions. The person I spoke to was surprised by this too, but it came from their supervisor. It surprised me but I wanted to let others know as well. It is possible to use the applications but I believe minutes will be charged unless you are not using the service towers in any capacity.
Marcus Corbould wrote:

I was at home using wifi and called through FaceTime so no data was needed. It is possible this supervisor was wrong or the customer service representative misunderstood but that was what I was told. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Marcus Corbould wrote:

Hmmmm...something doesn't add up Marcus. I looked at who you tlaked to and will try to pull the call because it sounds like what you were told is completely wrong. Indeed, you can use Facetime, Whatsapp and many other thirdparty app with Koodo like with any other provider. The vast majority uses data as David above mentioned so there is a charge unless it is used in wi-fi. The charge for the US voice call is counted as long distance hence the twenty dollars on your bill since it's not included in your plan.     
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Marcus Corbould wrote:

I'm trying to understand, Marcus. You made a FaceTime call, with full video, while connected to your home wi-fi, and were billed $20 in calling fees?

Userlevel 7
Marcus Corbould wrote:

Just my two cents but my wife and I use viber to call eachother because the voice quality over the data network is just so much better. We have never been charged for the calls which are always international. The calls use the data network. It does eat into our data but never minutes.

We have used facetime as well. Koodo does indeed support it fully. There was no extra charge

Did you start the call as a normal call and then transfer it to facetime? Indeed if you did it that way it does use your minutes until you transfer the call into facetime. To avoid this the call needs to be initiated from within facetime using the call button. Source: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/arti...
Marcus Corbould wrote:

I have the same problem with Koodo.  When I receive calls through WhatsApp, it will eat my airtime as Koodo system cannot tell whether the call is through WhatsApp or
regular phone calls.  International phone calls through WhatsApp are free as far as you are using Wifi from other telecom provider but Koodo will charge you and eat your airtime at the same time!
Userlevel 7
Marcus Corbould wrote:

I'm sorry but that's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.

Viber, facetime, whatsapp, fb messenger all make these calls over your data connection. Koodo does not charge your airtime minutes for these calls.

The only exception is if you initiated a facetime call via regular cell and then switched to facetime. Even then the regular airtime call gets dropped when facetime is connected.

There is probably some other reason your airtime minutes are being used but I assure you it isn't over these Voip based calls.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Marcus Corbould wrote:

https://community.koodomobile.com/koo...
Check your Bill on PDF. It's showing all the details of your charge included Airtime usage.
So you will know what you are/were charged for.