Koodo Community
Solved

Europe Texting on a Budget.

Our family of 5 are embarking on a rather extensive Europe Road Trip (UK, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy) this July and will be needing to use our phones (3 iphones, 1 samsung), but only for the following: We'd like to set up two of the iphones so we can text back and forth (in case we split up and want to stay in touch). We will not be using voice calling at all. We'd also like to be able to access wifi whenever its available, but do not want to use data otherwise. What do we need to do prior to our trip? Are we able to continue to iMessage (blue bubble?) with each other and people at home? Does that require data/wifi? If we have to pay for texts to each other, are we paying for both sending and receiving? Thanks

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Its going to cost $0.60 per sent text (free to receive). That means green only on iPhone, not blue. $1.50/min and $5/mb. You could reach a $50 data charge in as little as a 5-10 seconds of data being on. I recommend not using data if you use the pay per use rates. You can still iMessage (blue) overseas if you connect to wifi and you wont be charged additional data use. I'd recommend unlocking your phones and getting local sim cards when you get there. Depending on how much you guys plan on communicating between each other on this trip, it could be worth it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ahmad wrote:

Its going to cost $0.60 per sent text (free to receive). That means green only on iPhone, not blu...

It's definitely worth it, despite needing a different SIM for each country. Look for Lebara where available.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ahmad wrote:

Its going to cost $0.60 per sent text (free to receive). That means green only on iPhone, not blu...

Not free to receive SMS in Europe, so each text effectively costs $1.20 (send from one phone receive on the other).
OK, so I've got a few questions.... What is the cost to unlock two phones? And what will the cost be to purchase SIM cards for two phones for 8 different countries? What does an unlocked phone do that my current phone can't? And what is the advantage of purchasing multiple (8) SIM cards, even if I'm only using them for a few days each? If I'm only intending to text between phones once in a while,during the trip, is all this really necessary? I've been told that I can use iMessage for free, if both phones are on wifi? True? Thanks again!
Userlevel 6
gwatson16 wrote:

OK, so I've got a few questions.... What is the cost to unlock two phones? And what will the co...

Hi there, the cost to unlock a phone is $35. You'll find more information on this link: http://koo.do/1q5gyTB. With an unlocked phone, you can subscribe to a local provider in the visited country (most probably prepaid) and save on the cost of using your phone there. You'll have to look for providers and find out what's the best option for you, specially since you'll be visiting a few countries during your trip. iMessage uses data, so it would be free under WiFi 🙂 Enjoy your trip!
And what is Lebara?
Userlevel 6
gwatson16 wrote:

And what is Lebara?

Here is the website of Lebara: http://koo.do/1JQf4J2. Thank you!