Koodo Community
Question

eSIM for iPhone

• 15 February 2020
  • 5 replies

It was stated that adding eSIM on iPhone is for secondary line only, if I use another SIM card and add Kooko number as my secondary SIM, after I remove my primary SIM will the secondary line still work?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

From Koodo writing and Apple https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT209044, you should be able to use the eSIM alone.

Userlevel 4

@erickkl111 You only need the physical SIM to unlock the iPhone when its brand new. Once that is done you can switch over to eSIM only at any time.

Userlevel 7

@erickkl111You only need the physical SIM to unlock the iPhone when its brand new.

Any iPhone on iOS 12 or later can be activated without a SIM Card on Wi-Fi.

Userlevel 4

@triggered123 That requires connecting the iPhone to iTunes does it not? We don’t recommend anyone connect their iPhone to an unknown version or other user’s install of iTunes; due to the privacy risks that it could entail. If you know of a way to activate an iPhone without iTunes and no physical SIM card we are all ears and would be happy to update the process. We’re investigating methods to work around this, as we don’t like the extra step (with physical SIM) required by iOS vs. Android.

Userlevel 7

@triggered123That requires connecting the iPhone to iTunes does it not? We don’t recommend anyone connect their iPhone to an unknown version or other user’s install of iTunes; due to the privacy risks that it could entail. If you know of a way to activate an iPhone without iTunes and no physical SIM card we are all ears and would be happy to update the process. We’re investigating methods to work around this, as we don’t like the extra step (with physical SIM) required by iOS vs. Android.

Wi-Fi is not iTunes. Turn on the iPhone without a SIM Card. Go through the setup process on the screen.