Koodo Community

Easy Roam

Two months ago I went to Zimbabwe and got an email that I'm roaming on a Zimbabwe network and if I would activate easyroam I only had to pay $ 12 / per day to use my phone. So I thought great, activated easy roam my phone and started to use it. What happened next, the next bill was over $3000, ended up being $4000 for about 20 days usage. I talked to customer services, and send the initial email they had send me. After some deliberation they said the email was just a screenshot. Now I have to pay $4000. Did anyone ever experience this, or what should I do?

16 replies

Badge +4
No, I haven't heard of this happening to anyone and am sorry you have such a high bill to pay. Zimbabwe is not in the included destinations for Easy-roam so it would be surprising if you received an email about using easy-roam there. If they have no record of sending you that email I'm not sure there is much you can do.

https://www.koodomobile.com/easyroam
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Could you post that initial email here?
If you were close to the Zimbabwe border its possible that the easy roam notification was for one of the other countries.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
These messages would usually arrive as a text, not email. When you first connect to the foreign network, you would get a message about the rates to use the system there. If this arrived as an email containing an image (cut and paste), it could very well be that someone scammed you into paying the Zimbabwe telecom $4000.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
These messages would usually arrive as a text, not email. When you first connect to the foreign network, you would get a message about the rates to use the system there. If this arrived as an email containing an image (cut and paste), it could very well be that someone scammed you into paying the Zimbabwe telecom $4000.
I get emails from Koodo when i cross over to the US!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@Allan M
Interesting means of communicating the information, given many folks would choose to turn data off when travelling internationally.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@David AKU, I agree. I cant remember exactly the contents of the email but its something generic like hey, we recognized that your phone is in the us, just letting you know.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
On a recent trip, I received a text as I entered international destinations, and as account owner also received an email notifying me that one of the phones on my account had entered x country. The two serve different purposes, one to warn the user, the other to notify the account holder so any needed account changes can be made.

Remember, Koodo has NO assurance the holder of a phone has email access either on the phone or at the time. Thus email cannot sensibly be the means of notification of the user.
below is the email I got...what do you think
Account number:****530
|
Phone number:***-***-4942
Koodo Account Alert
Hello,
Looks like ***-***-4942 is roaming on a Zimbabwe network. Just so you know! If Easy Roam is active for them, they'll be charged $12/day for the days that they use their monthly plan's minutes, data or texts. The rates without Easy Roam are $2.50/min, $10/MB and $0.60/outgoing text (max. 160 characters each). All incoming texts are free.
A person on the account with authority can manage their settings and set permissions at koodo.com/selfserve
For more info on Easy Roam, visit koodo.com/easyroam
All the best,
The Koodo Team
Please do not reply to this message. We won't get your email because this isn't a valid return address.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yea that's fine.
Can you login to your account and double check that you have the international easy roam on your account in the addons section?
(Make sure it's the $12 international and not just the $8 US one)
Badge +4
@Fatso

They are questioning the email you received. Even if you had International Easy-roam on your account it apparently is not available to use in Zimbabwe anyway. You need to somehow prove you actually received that email and then you could take it further.

Click on the link below and then click on
"See the countries that aren't included."

https://www.koodomobile.com/easyroam
Thanks. Yes, I double checked I have the international add-on. See below.

Add-ons

• Pay-Per-Use Intl Long Distance
  • $0.00
  • Int'l Long Distance Saver
  • $3.00
  • $12/day Easy Roam INTL
  • $0.00
  • International Data Roaming
  • $0.00
  • International Voice Roaming
  • $0.00
  • $8/day US Easy Roam
  • $0.00
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Youll have to get in touch with Koodo to see what can be done. Go to koodo.com/chat and request a call back. Have the email you got a proof and explain that you roamed based on getting that info of easy roam being available. They'll verify it was on during the time and hopefully that'll mean they'd be willing to write it off based on that but I can't guarantee you anything. Let us know how it goes.
Userlevel 2
Hello! This is indeed really odd that you’ve received such an email, as Zimbabwe is not an eligible country to Easy Roam. As mentioned by Goran, you can schedule a call back through Koodo.com/chat, so that we can review the account and come up with a solution for you. You can also contact us via private message on Facebook or Twitter if you’d like!
Thanks a lot.. I will engage Koodo again, and hope they can help out this time.
I tried to reach out to them several times but have been rebuffed several times after having to explain my story over again and again. I don't think I will get anywhere with them. Does anyone know of any alternative ways to help resolve it
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I tried to reach out to them several times but have been rebuffed several times after having to explain my story over again and again. I don't think I will get anywhere with them. Does anyone know of any alternative ways to help resolve it
You can send a private message to koodo via facebook or twitter