Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Driving to US and cruising.

What are my options for add ons when I will be driving to the united states and then taking a cruise that stops in the southern and eastern caribbean? I don't want to spend a fortune just to text home a few times to make sure things are ok.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hello Lisa, you have some decent options in the States:
http://help.koodomobile.com/coverage-long-distance-and-travelling/travelling
If all you want is texting then you can get unlimited texting in the US as an add-on for 10 for 3, 15 for 10 days, or 20 for 30. Things get pricier once you're roaming outside of the US. There's only select add-ons for outside of US and it' 15 for 75 texts or 40 for 50 minues 50MB 50 texts. Otherwise the pay per text rate is 60 cents a text. You can also look into internet access on the cruise ship and rates so you can occasionally pay for internet use to check up at things back home and other stuff as well.

Userlevel 7
Do not use your phone on a cruise. You will be paying so much money for almost nothing, and there are no available add-ons for cruise ships either.

While you are driving in the US, if you just want to send the occasional text, you may want to just stick to the pay-per-use rate of 5$/100texts good until the end of your billing period, if not you can choose an unlimited add-on based on your time in the US (10$ for 3 days, 15$ for 10 days or 20$ for 30 days).
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mathieu wrote:

Do not use your phone on a cruise. You will be paying so much money for almost nothing, and there...

Even if the ship will have consistent satellite coverage throughout the cruise, it's still the same pay per use 60cents a text outgoing and free incoming, unlike the outrageous amounts for voice and data.  Although thanks for specifically mentioning cruise time; I was thinking when she mentioned stops within the Caribbean.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
OR you can check in by email whenever you reach a Wi-Fi hotspot. Just confirm with your regular correspondents that you will be using email instead of SMS.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
David wrote:

OR you can check in by email whenever you reach a Wi-Fi hotspot. Just confirm with your regular c...

Can also try pinger.com product before leaving to enable free texting from anywhere there is wifi ( = cruise ports of call).