Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Does the Verizon (US) iPhone 5s work on Koodo?

Does anyone know if an iPhone 5s from Verizon in the US (model no. me344ll/a) will work on Koodo? From the bit of research I did, it seems like voice/text will work, but that 4G/LTE will not work, is this true? I have a friend who has upgraded her phone and is willing to sell me her 5s for very cheap, however, it won't be worth it if I can't get LTE. thanks!

7 replies

Userlevel 1
The iPhone 5S is compatible with Koodo except you need to get it unlocked. To have it unlocked, you will need to contact Verizon (or have your friend do it if it's under their account) OR you can buy a SIM card tray such as Rebel SIM to unlock your phone. Unlocking iPhones is pricey so do give some thought before buying it. (Cost around $50 for carrier unlock and $100-200 for third party unlock)
Joshua Su wrote:

The iPhone 5S is compatible with Koodo except you need to get it unlocked. To have it unlocked, y...

Thank you for your response. I know unlocking is an issue, fortunately Verizon iPhone 5s's come unlocked. My main concern is if I will be able to get LTE on it here in Canada. From what I've read so far (but these are old blog posts) it sounds like Canada has the AWS network but the US (or at least Verizon) operates on something else...so the ME344LL/A (A1533) iPhone 5s (specific to Verizon) might not work on our LTE network here in Canada. Like I said, the few things I've read were older blog posts...maybe things have changed, have they? Will I be able to get 4G/LTE in Canada with a Verizon iPhone 5s?
Userlevel 1
Joshua Su wrote:

The iPhone 5S is compatible with Koodo except you need to get it unlocked. To have it unlocked, y...

No I don't think the Verizon or CDMA version of the iPhone 5S will be able to use the LTE band of Koodo. Someone correct me if I'm wrong 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Joshua Su wrote:

You do not need to unlock a Verizon phone for use in Canada. The GSM/HSPA radio is not SIM-locked on their phones.
Userlevel 2
Verizon runs on a different LTE band than AT&T. Even though the components in the Verizon's iPhone 5 are virtually the same as any other iPhone 5, Verizon's iPhone 5 is specifically "locked" to work only under their LTE band. People who were demonstrating that the Verizon iPhone 5 was unlocked could only access AT&T's HSPA network. to be more specific It's not locked OR unlocked , it is a limitation of the baseband and RF components. Here are the approximate frequencies for each band per phone: The A1428 "GSM" supports: 2 1900 4 1700/2100 aka AWS 5 850--------------bell/telus/koodo/ver/att-3G HSPA 17 700 A1429 "CDMA" 1 1900/2100 3 1800 5 850---------------bell/telus/koodo/verizon/at&t-3G HSPA 13 800 25 1900 All the bands are not only pure frequency, but have different rules for signal tolerance/power/bandwidth. Otherwise, for example, band 2 and 25 would be exactly the same bands basically. For more info, look at page 20 here: http://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_ts/136100_136199/136101/10.07.00_60/ts_136101v100700p.pdf Of note is none of the models supports Bell's 2600 MHz band 7 network. So buy a phone which supports that band and you will probably have faster speeds for bell/telus/koodo than others .. p.s telus does not have towers everywhere it runs off of bell in most regions except larger urban areas.
Userlevel 2
Benaam Badnaam wrote:

Verizon runs on a different LTE band than AT&T. Even though the components in the Verizon's iPhon...

Expect Download speeds between 14Mbps to 28Mbps on HSPA and Fake HSPA . coming from iphone Verizon 5s- in cornwall Ontario - using it and almost dragging it drown to the ground for 10 months - no issue
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I've used many phones over my past 2 years with Koodo and I disable LTE by choice. It's completely unnecessary and it's worse for your battery life.