Koodo Community
Solved

Does accessing voicemail incur long distance?

• 31 October 2019
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 2

My cellphone plan is with Koodo, and my number is Ottawa-based (613 area code).  When I was in Toronto and wanted to access my Koodo voicemail, I used my Bell calling card to call my cellphone number to avoid long distance changes.  Unfortunately, I was also dialing from my cellphone to dial, and the calling card service doesn’t support having the same number for the source and destination.

I tried to report this as a design flaw to Bell, since they probably have lots of customers that have non-Bell cellphone providers.  After 2 hours on the phone with various people and offices, someone said that accessing voicemail is free for most cellphone plans, even when one is in a different city from one’s home.  Is this true for Koodo as well?

icon

Best answer by Dennis 31 October 2019, 20:36

Thanks, but I'm not really asking about airtime minutes.  I'm asking about long distance charges.

I'm on a minimal plan.  Here are the details, transcribed from the bill:

Monthly and other charges (Aug 07 to Sep 06)
 $XX 100MB 200 min Plan              $XX.00
   5pm Evenings & Weekends
   Additional data $5/50MB
   Data 100MB
   Unlimited SMS and MMS
Total monthly and other charges .....$XX.00

Log into your self serve and go to Plans and Add-Ons.  Does it say Canada wide anywhere there?

How much is the plan?  I’m not sure why you X’d those out

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Are you not on a Canada wide plan? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Access to your voicemail during daytime use your minutes.  If you have a plan with unlimited, then you don't need to worry about minutes overage.

Also, if your plan is Koodo's Canada wide plan, then there is no long distance charge :)

Userlevel 2

Thanks, but I'm not really asking about airtime minutes.  I'm asking about long distance charges.

5pm Evenings & Weekends
   Additional data $5/50MB
   Data 100MB
   Unlimited SMS and MMS

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

5pm Evenings & Weekends
   Additional data $5/50MB
   Data 100MB
   Unlimited SMS and MMS

Log into your self serve and go to Plans and Add-Ons.  Does it say Canada wide anywhere there?

How much is the plan?  I’m not sure why you X’d those out

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

To my knowledge, accessing your koodo voicemail from your koodo phone is considered a local call from anywhere in Canada.

Userlevel 2

I logged in but did't see something called "Planns and Add-Ons".  But I see a link "View rate plan", which leads me to a page entitled "Your current plan".  Here are the items that show when I click on the pulldown menu:

* 100 MB of Shock-Free data
 * 200 Canada-wide anytime minutes
 * Call Display
 * Voicemail
 * Unlimited Canada-wide Family Calling
 * Call Waiting and Conference Calling
 * Additional data $5/50 MB
 * 5 pm
 * Unlimited messaging (text & picture)

Based on the 2nd item, I'm guessing that accessing voicemail from anywhere within Canada does not incur long distance charges.

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Voicemail is FREE, as in recording or playing back the message.

If you hit the voicemail key to get your messages, your handset dials the 1-area code - ###-#### which is identified by your SIM as your voicemail contact number. The area code is the same as your assigned number, and the full number can be found in your phone parameters. That call costs minutes against your account, and if you are currently outside your local calling area, it will cost long distance. If you are on a Canada-wide plan, it’s only regular minutes.

It’s not the same as calling *611 which is an internal system call.

You can always check your voicemail using another phone (including a land line) by dialing your number and hitting the star key when the recording starts. WIll  not affect your Koodo bill, only the handset you are using to place the call.

Userlevel 2

Thanks, BobTheElectrician.  I mentioned in an earlier post that I wasn’t  asking about air time, but just long distance charges.  As I mentioned, I have a Canada-wide plan, so I now know that this is no longer an issue.

The reason why I posted this is because it’s not always easy to find a working land line these days.  Yes, I can bum a call off of someone else’s phone, but that gets old very quickly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks, BobTheElectrician.  I mentioned in an earlier post that I wasn’t  asking about air time, but just long distance charges.  As I mentioned, I have a Canada-wide plan, so I now know that this is no longer an issue.

The reason why I posted this is because it’s not always easy to find a working land line these days.  Yes, I can bum a call off of someone else’s phone, but that gets old very quickly.

I think he wanted to clarify the confusion in the recent posts. Some people were saying it doesn't count as LD even without Canada Wide. 

Userlevel 2

Ah, yes.  I can see how that would need clarifying.