Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Do I need a UK sim card when I travel to the UK?

If I go to the UK for a couple of weeks and want my phone mainly for 999 calls and checking London area maps, do I need a UK Sim card? i was told by the seller of my phone that by phoning in before travel I might not need UK SIM

5 replies

if your outside the country you need to have an add on for the country your travelling too, and checking maps requires a data connections so I would reccomend getting your phone unlocked and using a prepaid sim card when in the UK, however you will not get charged if your in a wifi.
Userlevel 4
tlee1973 wrote:

if your outside the country you need to have an add on for the country your travelling too, and c...

Just to add, the features would be "International voice roaming," "International data roaming" (if you need data) and "International dialing/LD saver." The first two features are free, the Internatonal Dialing/LD saver is $2/month
tlee1973 wrote:

if your outside the country you need to have an add on for the country your travelling too, and c...

The 2$ add on is only when your making calls overseas from canada, it gives you reduced rates on some countries.
Userlevel 6
tlee1973 wrote:

If you're only using the 999 (the UK equivalent to 911) I don't think you need any add-ons or even a SIM card at all.
Userlevel 1
Hey Linda, you don't need a sim card to travel to the UK. As tlee1973 & Tyler C mentioned, you can roam onto the cell phone networks in the UK. Check out our website for detailed info: http://bit.ly/Im7Mch. Keep in mind that all text, data and voice usage in the UK will be charged on top of your regular monthly Koodo bill. Another option that you can consider is unlocking your phone and using a prepaid UK sim card so that all usage is separate from your Koodo bill. It's completely up to you 🙂