Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Difference between Tab Small and Sim-Only Tab

I was on the "Tab-Small" and now it says I'm on the "Sim-Only Tab" does that mean I can't take $150 off a new phone anymore and have to pay for the entire thing right off the bat?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Actually that's the way it is for everyone now. Koodo will spot you 0-360 or up to 500$ but you have to pay it all back over a two year period.

Gone are the days koodo handed you a 150$ phone and then paid for it. See here for more information on the new tab. http://help.koodomobile.com/getting-s...
Chad Burr wrote:

Actually that's the way it is for everyone now. Koodo will spot you 0-360 or up to 500$ but you ...

Koodo was taking 10% of the bill and paying off the tab with that (basically the same as a contract with other phone company's cause you pay for your phone via phone bill every month for 2/3 year term where as koodos wasn't a fixed term), but I mean if I want $150 off a new phone (like I have been doing for years) and I pay my bill (which was slowly paying off the tab) can I still do that, or is tab now ALWAYS an additional charge to the bill? Like I've never been on a tab where I had an additional fee on my bill, I just upgraded to a new phone once my balance for tab goes to $0 or the positives and used the tab with the new phone. So basically I guess my question is, will I have to pay an additional tab charge even if i still use the $150 tab?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You were receiving 10% Koodo contribution for your tab, but they just wiped remaining of your tab. That's why its says "Sim-Only Tab". And you can switch to one of Koodo's new plans IF you want. When you upgrade your phone, you can still put some amount on the Tab (up to $360). But there is no more Koodo's contribution for your phone. So you have to pay back every month for 24 month. Say if you want to buy a $500 phone. You can pay $140 upfront and put $360 on the tab. You pay $15/mo for your phone for next 24 mo.
Koodo was taking 10% of the bill and paying off the tab with that (basically the same as a contract with other phone company's cause you pay for your phone via phone bill every month for 2/3 year term where as koodos wasn't a fixed term), but I mean if I want $150 off a new phone (like I have been doing for years) and I pay my bill (which was slowly paying off the tab) can I still do that, or is tab now ALWAYS an additional charge to the bill? Like I've never been on a tab where I had an additional fee on my bill, I just upgraded to a new phone once my balance for tab goes to $0 or the positives and used the tab with the new phone. So basically I guess my question is, will I have to pay an additional tab charge even if i still use the $150 tab?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Amber Richards wrote:

Koodo was taking 10% of the bill and paying off the tab with that (basically the same as a contra...

They no longer pay down your tab for you. They changed their tab system a few month ago. So no more Tab S or M...And yes, it will be additional tab charge to the bill if you upgrade your phone with the tab.
Userlevel 3
Hi Amber! While you were on the Small Tab, did you save up to +150 points? If so, then you can use that money to buy a new phone. The Tab system changed since April 19th and there is no longer possible way to save up points. There will be an extra tab charge on your bill  http://help.koodomobile.com/getting-started-with-koodo/the-tab-what-it-is-and-how-it-works Have a great weekend!
question is, what can I actually do with the SIM-only tab? Replace my SIM-card or something?
Thank you!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Victoria Fedulova wrote:

question is, what can I actually do with the SIM-only tab? Replace my SIM-card or something?
Than...

If you are on the SIM- only, You can just enjoy your current/new Koodo's plan.
That means you don't need to worry about pay down your tab since you don't have any tab left.

If you want to upgrade your phone with the  "Tab", there will be additional tab charge to your bill. So, your monthly bill will be Plan price + Tab charge.

But if you buy a phone from somewhere else(it have to be unlocked and compatible), you can continue to enjoy your current plan.
You just take a sim card from your current phone to your new phone if it's same size.
If it takes different size sim card, you will have to buy a proper size one and upgrade it through customer service (or store rep will upgrade your new sim on the spot if they are not busy.)