Koodo Community
Solved

Data usage when I'm sleeping and on wifi

• 15 April 2021
  • 5 replies

How can my phone use up 785 MB of datausage in the middle of the night when I am home, on wifi & most importantly asleep???

icon

Best answer by Allan M 15 April 2021, 17:06

Do you have wifi assist (or your phones equivalent) turned on? This setting will switch your phone to data if it believes the data signal is stronger than the wifi signal.

Things like updates, notifications, etc, all will use data even without you using the phone. You can check your data usage history on your phone to see exactly what is using the data at night.

If its using up that much it may also be wise to turn your data off before you go to sleep to guarantee that it won't be used at night.

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Do you have wifi assist (or your phones equivalent) turned on? This setting will switch your phone to data if it believes the data signal is stronger than the wifi signal.

Things like updates, notifications, etc, all will use data even without you using the phone. You can check your data usage history on your phone to see exactly what is using the data at night.

If its using up that much it may also be wise to turn your data off before you go to sleep to guarantee that it won't be used at night.

Wifi assist was off, and it’s not just a few MB, it was a one time 785 MB at 3:30 AM… I don’t even use close to that in a whole day when I’m not on wifi!

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

If you still need help with this you can book a call on koodo.com/chat to get in touch with the technical team. Although we do not have a tech department on social media, you can also send us a message on Facebook/Twitter. :)

How can my phone use up 785 MB of datausage in the middle of the night when I am home, on wifi & most importantly asleep???

I have two phones. One for 4 years one for 2. Never had a problem. Then every month for 3 straight months I had the same thing happen. One month it would be one phone that was charged the $10.00 then the next month the other phone and so on. Nothing for 4 years and nothing changed to all of a sudden start using data. I contacted kudo and questioned it. I was not very happy and told them if this continued that I would be looking for a new phone provider. They credited me the $10.00 for that month and it has not happened since. Nothing was changed in my phone. If this is not a scam by kudo I would like to know why after I complained it stopped.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I have two phones. One for 4 years one for 2. Never had a problem. Then every month for 3 straight months I had the same thing happen. One month it would be one phone that was charged the $10.00 then the next month the other phone and so on. Nothing for 4 years and nothing changed to all of a sudden start using data. I contacted kudo and questioned it. I was not very happy and told them if this continued that I would be looking for a new phone provider. They credited me the $10.00 for that month and it has not happened since. Nothing was changed in my phone. If this is not a scam by kudo I would like to know why after I complained it stopped.

Koodo has no way to control how your phone uses data. They simply charge when it is used.

They did awhile ago add a very small buffer of data (250kb I believe) to prevent some problem phones which could leak very small amounts of data but overall id just chalk it up to pure coincidence.