Feedback
Data usage overnight while I was sleeping and on wifi with wifi assist turned OFF. Why? | Koodo Community
Koodo Community
Question

Data usage overnight while I was sleeping and on wifi with wifi assist turned OFF. Why?

• 12 September 2021
  • 4 replies

It says I used .4085 MB in total.  Every two hours from midnight until 8 AM it used a little bit.  I was on wifi and have wifi assist turned OFF.   Should I be finding a different provider?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It says I used .4085 MB in total.  Every two hours from midnight until 8 AM it used a little bit.  I was on wifi and have wifi assist turned OFF.   Should I be finding a different provider?

Sometimes there is data leakage happening on your phone due to an update in the background. It is relatively miniscule, assuming you have data on your plan. If you are worried about this, you can just turn off your phone before you go to sleep and turn it back on when you are awake. 

So if there are any emergencies in the middle of the night I guess no one will be able to contact me.  The number one MAIN reason I decided to even get a phone..  Not a helpful answer.  If I have wifi ON and WiFi assist OFF there should be NO data "leakages".  Anything that wants to download in the background can use wifi.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Unless you turn off cellular data completely, the phone will still try to connect to a tower from time to time. It is a problem with “smart phone”. As the data block isn't free, I recommend you switch to prepaid if you just use the phone for emergency cases. It would be easier to control. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If wifi service has a hiccup, the phone will try to reestablish the data connection thru the mobile link as long as a data connection is allowed on the handset. A new or re-connection usually means automatically checking for emails, etc. That consumes a small amount of data even if there is nothing “new” to report.

You will have a similar experience regardless of carriers.