Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Data usage after top up

I just purchased a 1 GB data add-on while my phone was connected to my home wifi. On the usage summary page it says I've already used 5.293 MB of my data. I am on wifi and literally just pushed the refresh button on my browser. How could it have used 5MB of data in a 10 second window if I'm on wifi?

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I'm not sure what used the 1MB of data. Your WiFi could have dropped for a second and used the data. I wouldn't worry about 1MB as it's very small and there is 1024mb per 1gb. If your very adament about getting it back, you could call self serve but it will honestly cost you more of your time than 1mb is worth. Hope that helps explain it a bit.
Badge +4
Is Wi-Fi assist enabled? "Wi-Fi Assist is on by default. If you don't want your iOS device to stay connected to the Internet when you have a poor Wi-Fi connection, you can disable Wi-Fi Assist. Go to Settings > Cellular. Then scroll down and tap the slider for Wi-Fi Assist". https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT205296
Userlevel 4
Hi Melissa, seems like it is a case of data "reservation".To create a better experience, mobile devices will often request certain amounts of data and set them aside to streamline the utilization of the network (e.g. less buffering and lags when streaming videos, downloading files/apps). If not used, this data is returned. It works a bit like when you decide to pay directly at the gaz pump, where they'll "reserve" $100 on your credit card , in order to cover for whichever amount you'll use.
Levis wrote:

Hi Melissa, seems like it is a case of data "reservation".To create a better experience, mobile d...

Ok, I'll have to read more about what that means.  Just seemed weird that 5 MB were instantly used when I was on wifi without wifi assist turned on etc.  It's not a huge deal, but it makes it difficult for people to track.
Userlevel 4
Levis wrote:

Hi Melissa, seems like it is a case of data "reservation".To create a better experience, mobile d...

I understand, Melissa, it's not the easiest concept. The data is not technically used, and will be returned to your total.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Levis wrote:

Koodo does the same with credit cards, Melissa. When a new credit card is added, Koodo "reserves" one cent just to check if the card is genuine. This cent is never actually taken and most customers never even notice it, but every now and then people accuse Koodo of stealing a whole cent 😃

It's the same with your data, the 5MB were not actually taken, just reserved and will be returned to you 🙂
Levis wrote:

Hi Levis, I think you are confusing two concepts. What you are describing to create a better experience is known as data caching where data is retrieved ahead of its actual requirement. What has occurred in this case is that data has actually been downloaded and hence consumed it will not be returned at a later date.