Koodo Community

Community

Solved

data usage/add-ons not prorated on changing monthly plan

I changed my monthly plan last month from an older "data saver" plan to a new "1 GB unlimited" one and have just received the bill. The bill shows the prorated adjustments to the basic monthly changes (approx. 1 week under the old plan, 3 weeks under the new), which is fine. But while my data charges would be zero under the new plan (I was under the 1GB limit), I'm being billed as if *all* the data usage occurred under the old plan, which it didn't. Doesn't data usage get prorated on a plan change? 

As well, it also looks like several add-on charges (call display and visual voicemail) are also not being adjusted through proration. The older plan billed those as extras, but they're supposedly freebies under my new plan. Long story short, my latest bill shows that I need to pay the full monthly pop for those as if the billing never changed mid-month.

Lastly (and this one I *really* don't understand): I'm being billed for the new plan a month ahead. Ie, the bill was due July 9 and all the prorated adjustments and charges on the bill show as being applied to the period June 10 to July 9, as expected, but there's an additional $53 billing for the basic 1GB plan that says July 1 through August 9, and we're not even there yet! In other words, I seem to be being "forward billed" of where we actually are. Is this expected behaviour ???

TIA,
Howard
icon

Best answer by Timo Tuokkola 22 July 2015, 16:32

If you check your previous bills, you will see that you have always been paying a month ahead. As far as data usage goes, the amounts don't get prorated, but any data used is charged according to whatever plan you were on at that time. IIRC, the data saver plans charge you the price for the next tiering data as soon as you go over the tier you are in. Since the lower tiers are for smaller amounts of data you may already have been in a higher tier (up to 1gb) when you switched after a week.

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you check your previous bills, you will see that you have always been paying a month ahead. As far as data usage goes, the amounts don't get prorated, but any data used is charged according to whatever plan you were on at that time. IIRC, the data saver plans charge you the price for the next tiering data as soon as you go over the tier you are in. Since the lower tiers are for smaller amounts of data you may already have been in a higher tier (up to 1gb) when you switched after a week.