Koodo Community

Community

Data usage

Just wondering if anyone else has ideas on how to limit data usage! I upgraded to an iphone 7 a few weeks ago and for the past couple of months I've been going through data like CRAZY. I have my data turned off completely during the day while at work, and only turn it on to use an app as needed. I have wifi at home, so it's only on my breaks that I'm checking my facebook or other apps.
Can't seem to get a straight answer on why all of a sudden I'm going through SO much data, I have about 4G available and it's racked up half way through my billing cycle and for some reason I cannot make any changes to my plans or addons.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Check the data usage on your phone. It will tell you what apps are using how much data. At the very bottom check "Time and Location" I believe it's called. A few users have noticed this uses up a lot of data.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Allan wrote:

Check the data usage on your phone. It will tell you what apps are using how much data. At the ve...

I support what he said. I had this service use a lot of data, but I never knew why, so that was annoying!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
There are many ways to reduce iPhone data usage:
- Use wifi as much as you could (i would check if any shawopen or telus wifi near you)
- Go to Settings --> cellular --> check the cellular data usage for various app, then disable apps that you think they don't need cellular data.
- If you are streaming music, try download music on wifi before you play.
Hope few tips will help you
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dinh wrote:

There are many ways to reduce iPhone data usage:
- Use wifi as much as you could (i would check ...

Make sure to check in the phone’s cellular settings and make sure Wi-Fi Assist is turned off. Since you are using Facebook, make sure in Facebook’s settings that videos are set so they do not automatically play. I use my phone quite freely, and consume about 1GB per month.
Userlevel 1
Check Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Check what programs are using the data, If you can't tell, you can reset Statistics at the bottom of the page. And then come back after a day or 2 and see which ones use the data. Turn off Cellular data for the non-essentials. and keep repeating until you've eliminated the culprit.

The apps i find that use alot are: 
App Store, Any web browser (Safari, Chrome), Social Media (FB, IG, Snap), Multimedia (Pictures, Music, YouTube for example.

Also under Settings > iTunes & App Stores: Make use the "Use Cellular Data: is off for Automatic Downloads.

Last thing: Use Low Power Mode under Settings > Battery, Limits Push Data, Background app activity, auto downloads. 

Last Last Thing, Keep Wifi on, if you have shaw cable, ShawOpen is everywhere, i think Telus customers have something similar. Wifi from unsecuared networks are prob not a good idea though.

Good Luck!