Koodo Community

Community

Solved

data and imessage

if im out of the house and on 3G cuz i have no wifi, im not getting charged for imessage and sending pics through imessage, am i? like does it count as my data or is imessage free and just another version of texting..? also can u turn 3G off?

10 replies

iMessage uses your data and does not count as text at all. So when you send a pic over iMessage it is using up your data, if you send the pic as a text its free of charge as long as you have unlimited text and pic in your plan. To send it as a text you can simply double click the message after you click send and select send as text. As well just go into your settings and under messages turn iMessage off, while your not on wifi if you would like.
so, when im under wifi it doesnt use my data?
Hafsa Shaukat wrote:

Exactly, over wifi your not using any of your data from the carrier unless your receiving or sending pic text messages which don't charge you but will still show up as data usage (pic text messages always use cellular data whether your on wifi or not).
Userlevel 7
Hafsa Shaukat wrote:

^^^^^^^^^^^ virtual star ^^^^^^^^^^
wait okay so even under wifi lets say my friend imessages me a picture, it takes up MY data?
Hafsa Shaukat wrote:

wait okay so even under wifi lets say my friend imessages me a picture, it takes up MY data?

not at all, iMessage uses strictly data sorry for the confusion, once again iMessage isn't consider TEXT message. If your on wifi iMessage is using wifi, if your not its using your networks 3g data
Hafsa Shaukat wrote:

how much is Imessage go up too..Like how much Data?? like does it go up to 300MB
Userlevel 7
Hafsa Shaukat wrote:

Imessage uses very little data. I'm assuming you have a 300 mb plan, don't worry about it unless you're sending thousands and thousands of imessages a month, it won't dent too much of your data. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hafsa Shaukat wrote:

I would say from 1-10kb for normal txt, pics would be the size of the pic plus a few kbs more. So don't send big size pictures
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hafsa Shaukat wrote:

Keep in mind that since you can send videos as well, that it can burn through that data rather quickly. Lynn, if you turn iMessage off, then any pictures you send are counted as MMS messages, and this does not count against your data allowance.