Koodo Community
Solved

Cubans’s Koodo clients are subject to submit theirs Cuba’s contact list in order to call there

• 2 January 2019
  • 34 replies

Hi Koodo community,

The Koodo’s anti fraud department oblige Cubans clients to submit every number they need to call in Cuba in order to be unblocked.

That means, when you try to rich 90% of Cuba’s numbers Koodo say: “The number you call is in a range that has been blocked for security reasons”

I already tried with many Cuba numbers with different patterns and the results is the same.

I contacted two time the Koodo Customer Service, lost around 3h at the phone and the final answer is: the anti fraud department ask a form for every number you need to call in order to unblock it and then allow you to make the call.

I found that really abusive and privacy violating because I don’t want to give Koodo my entire contact list to allow it to know it.

If I need to call a new number in an urgent situation I
CAN’T. People, what kind of jokes is this??!!

Please, Help the Cuban’s community which have been trusting Koodo as theirs provider.

thank you in advance
icon

Best answer by Timo Tuokkola 2 January 2019, 16:58

WHen you make the call, Koodo will know the number you are calling anyways.

DO you know of anyone else with this issue regarding calling Cuba? I have not heard of this before and could be a situation with your account only. Also are you a new customer?

It generally happens when a large number of calls from certain number ranges start pulling scams like this one:
https://forum.telus.com/t5/Mobility/Overseas-Phone-Fraud-Wangiri/ta-p/82761
View original

This topic has been closed for comments

34 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

DO you know of anyone else with this issue regarding calling Cuba? I have not heard of this before and could be a situation with your account only. Also are you a new customer?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It generally happens when a large number of calls from certain number ranges start pulling scams like this one:
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
To protect our customers from potential toll fraud related charges, the Koodo Fraud Management team routinely blocks specific international lines related to toll fraud traffic. In these instances, we may block specific area codes that have been flagged to be suspicious.. which sounds like the case above.
It's not meant to block you from trying to call loved ones, but is a preventative measure we take, when our fraud teams have been tipped off.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@Ranjan Koodo thank you for protecting us!

For sure they know the number when I’m calling, So, why they don’t automatically unlock it? Why I have to call Customer service to ask them fill a form for this number to pass it to anti fraud department and allow me to make the call. This is really ancient era or what?

I have bunch of Cuban friends having this problem, my wife too.

I have been with Koodo for more than 5 years, with an excellent customer profile, and this is the first time having this problem.

It it can be interpreted by the press like Koodo is not Cubans friendly

That is perfect but the problem is not why is happening, is how Koodo implements the solution for that.

It’s any institution to scale the claim? Like ICRST or CRTC or anything because is really annoying as a client experience.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

For sure they know the number when I’m calling, So, why they don’t automatically unlock it? Why I have to call Customer service to ask them fill a form for this number to pass it to anti fraud department and allow me to make the call. This is really ancient era or what?

I have been with Koodo for more than 5 years, with an excellent customer profile, and this is the first time having this problem.

An explanation was given by Ranjan (a koodo rep) above. If this this not satisfactory, you free to switch providers or to inform anyone else of this process that Koodo is doing
To protect our customers from potential toll fraud related charges, the Koodo Fraud Management team routinely blocks specific international lines related to toll fraud traffic. In these instances, we may block specific area codes that have been flagged to be suspicious.. which sounds like the case above.
It's not meant to block you from trying to call loved ones, but is a preventative measure we take, when our fraud teams have been tipped off.

Please don’t protect me that way, because it do really meant your are blocking me and the Cubans in general to call theirs lovely ones. It looks like the easy way for Koodo.
Don’t protect me that way, if I realize additional charge have been added to my account then I can contact you to check it and give the best solution.

What’s happening in Koodo??!! Mother of GOD. Is there a anti fraud manager changing or something. Please!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
As it states at the link I posted above:
"The victim will receive a call from an overseas number that will ring once or twice or just long enough for the number to appear on their caller ID. These numbers are premium-rate overseas phone numbers that charge high rates on top of your normal long distance rate. The intent is for you to return the call. Once the scammer has you on the line, they will try to make you stay on the call for as long as possible to run up the charges."

Koodo's system does not log incomplete calls, since they're not billable, so there is no way of knowing whether you are initiating contact or simply returning a missed call that showed up on your phone.
@Ranjan Koodo thank you for protecting us!

Nice words, you have to experience having block when you try to call your loves ones, friends and business contacts.
It’s easy to say when you don’t have the problem.

An explanation was given by Ranjan (a koodo rep) above. If this this not satisfactory, you free to switch providers or to inform anyone else of this process that Koodo is doing

This is is not the kind of answer you expect to have in this forum.

If you don’t like, go away with another provider, come on? I hope you are not working for Koodo.

Thank you anyway
As it states at the link I posted above:
"The victim will receive a call from an overseas number that will ring once or twice or just long enough for the number to appear on their caller ID. These numbers are premium-rate overseas phone numbers that charge high rates on top of your normal long distance rate. The intent is for you to return the call. Once the scammer has you on the line, they will try to make you stay on the call for as long as possible to run up the charges."

Koodo's system does not log incomplete calls, since they're not billable, so there is no way of knowing whether you are initiating contact or simply returning a missed call that showed up on your phone.

That’s really clear, BUT, what happens if we start receiving call from overseas numbers as US, Mexico, UK, or other countries? You will do the same? I can’t imagine. Koodo blocks the Cuba range as a solution because is not important or their customer are not important for take time and give a performant and elegant solution
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you don’t like, go away with another provider, come on? I hope you are not working for Koodo.

Thank you anyway

Mobile Masters are not Koodo Employees. Our opinions are our own.

Im just saying that this is the service that Koodo offers. If the service does not work for you, teach them a lesson by speaking with your wallet. Simple as that. You are free and have the freecom to choose. You are by no means stuck with Koodo.

Thank you anyway
Mobile Masters are not Koodo Employees. Our opinions are our own.

Im just saying that this is the service that Koodo offers. If the service does not work for you, teach them a lesson by speaking with your wallet. Simple as that. You are free and have the freecom to choose. You are by no means stuck with Koodo.

Thabk you Denis, probably is what Koodo wants
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@LeFouetDeFibonacci - this is in fact standard process for a broad range of countries. Not singling out Cuba - we have no reason to do so.
@LeFouetDeFibonacci - this is in fact standard process for a broad range of countries. Not singling out Cuba - we have no reason to do so.

Nobody can’t tell that in order to you make a call, you have to at first chat with a bot, wait for an appointment to talk with Customer Service, explain every time the same problem, give them the number you want to call, they fill a form and send it to anti fraud department, and then wait 48 hours to they allow you to call the number.

Nobody can’t tell me this is standard procedure.
This is abusive, is there a way to ask:

Please DONT protect me that way..!!! Come on!!

Please, is there a way to write to Koodo executives?
Please, is there a way to scale this claim?

Thank you in advance
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@LeFouetDeFibonacci - this is in fact standard process for a broad range of countries. Not singling out Cuba - we have no reason to do so.Nobody can’t tell that in order to you make a call, you have to at first chat with a bot, wait for an appointment to talk with Customer Service, explain every time the same problem, give them the number you want to call, they fill a form and send it to anti fraud department, and then wait 48 hours to they allow you to call the number.

Thank you in advance

So what do you want? DO you just want the steps documented or to get rid of this process altogether?

If you just want to get rid of this process, it will take more that what you are doing here. It will require a large group of customers to make noise. If you want to do this, I recommend Reddit.

Otherwise, you are now informed of the steps required. It is up to you to do it or not.

@LeFouetDeFibonacci - this is in fact standard process for a broad range of countries. Not singling out Cuba - we have no reason to do so.Nobody can’t tell that in order to you make a call, you have to at first chat with a bot, wait for an appointment to talk with Customer Service, explain every time the same problem, give them the number you want to call, they fill a form and send it to anti fraud department, and then wait 48 hours to they allow you to call the number.

Thank you in advance
So what do you want? DO you just want the steps documented or to get rid of this process altogether?

If you just want to get rid of this process, it will take more that what you are doing here. It will require a large group of customers to make noise. If you want to do this, I recommend Reddit.

Otherwise, you are now informed of the steps required. It is up to you to do it or not.

Thank you, or we can just write to the journal and the radio and they will make that real noisy.

thank you Denis
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thank you in advance

Thank you, or we can just write to the journal and the radio and they will make that real noisy.

thank you Denis

Yes you are free to reach out to the media. It would be more productive to approach them there instead of on here
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@LeFouetDeFibonacci you could look into other options. Maybe try a calling card from your local convenience or grocery store? They have local (or at least Canadian toll-free) access numbers that are not blocked. You'll want to reach out to them to make sure you can use their services to call Cuba unrestricted first, and verify what the cost is per minute and so on. But at least it's an option. Or you could try a VoIP service to call over Wi-Fi or mobile data.
@LeFouetDeFibonacci you could look into other options. Maybe try a calling card from your local convenience or grocery store? They have local (or at least Canadian toll-free) access numbers that are not blocked. You'll want to reach out to them to make sure you can use their services to call Cuba unrestricted first, and verify what the cost is per minute and so on. But at least it's an option. Or you could try a VoIP service to call over Wi-Fi or mobile data.

Thank you @srlawren,

I’m struggling with that because in Cuba there is not a lot of options to communicate, having internet is a drama there, and forget having it in theirs phone, now they are opening in that aspect but not affordable for average people. People there go out to others countries to avoid restrictions and limitations and find this kind of stuff here.

Thabk you anyway
No solution for this topic
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thank you @srlawren,

I’m struggling with that because in Cuba there is not a lot of options to communicate, having internet is a drama there, and forget having it in theirs phone, now they are opening in that aspect but not affordable for average people. People there go out to others countries to avoid restrictions and limitations and find this kind of stuff here.

Thabk you anyway

A calling card that @srlawren suggested is still a phone call and does not require data. It not much different than regular calling
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@LeFouetDeFibonacci as @Dennis noted, a calling card requires no data. You could also use something like Skype-to-phone calling, which would use data on your end in Canada but come through as a phone call. However, it looks like it's around 95c a minute, which sounds pretty expensive: https://secure.skype.com/calling-rates/Cuba?language=en.

EDIT: yes 95.4c per min plus a 10.6 cent connection fee (per call)

EDIT 2: hangouts is slightly cheaper at 93c per min: https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/rates?p=hangout

@LeFouetDeFibonacci you could look into other options. Maybe try a calling card from your local convenience or grocery store? They have local (or at least Canadian toll-free) access numbers that are not blocked. You'll want to reach out to them to make sure you can use their services to call Cuba unrestricted first, and verify what the cost is per minute and so on. But at least it's an option. Or you could try a VoIP service to call over Wi-Fi or mobile data.Thank you @srlawren,

Thabk you anyway
A calling card that @srlawren suggested is still a phone call and does not require data. It not much different than regular calling

yes, you are right, but why I have to buy a calling card if in my package I have 30min free to outside Canada?,
calling to Cuba is very expensive and 30min is really valuable advantage.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

yes, you are right, but why I have to buy a calling card if in my package I have 30min free to outside Canada?,
calling to Cuba is very expensive and 30min is really valuable advantage.

@LeFouetDeFibonacci I don't think you mentioned previously that your plan includes some free LD. I can understand why you'd want to use that first rather than paying around $1 a min to another service. I'm not sure what to suggest.