Koodo Community
Question

CPO iPhone XS max

• 11 November 2021
  • 7 replies

Purchased a iPhone XS max ‘like new’ CPO in mid September for son off the website.  Worked well but shut off 2 separate times during first 3-4 weeks, both times when battery level was ~10%; figured that this was due to low battery level thus advised son to charge phone daily to avoid same issue.  Same ‘shut off’ continued to happen until last week when phone cannot stay on at all.

Called Koodo online and were referred to Apple customer service who when contacted said that since the phone was bought through Koodo, that the warranty was with them (note that the phone came with a 1 year warranty by koodo).  Proceeded to contact Koodo via call back & Twitter who advised us to go to Telus store.  On Nov 4, we did go to store located in Place Vertu shopping center whose rep stated that they do not have a technician to repair/look at phones.  He suggested going to kiosk in same mall and asking the rep there; that was done as well.  The rep called his manager who phoned Koodo customer service and was told to have the phone looked at a telus store with a technician available.  The Koodo phone rep told us to go to the Telus in the Rockland shopping center.  We did on Nov 10 (yesterday) and heard the same story: no technician and call Koodo.  A call-back was scheduled for 8.00pm EST at which point the rep reviewed the issue and suggested we needed to have the phone looked at by a technician; he told us to go to the store in Carrefour Laval or Place Alexis-Nihon as those stores supposedly had a technician who would be able to evaluate the phone - he also scheduled a call back to my son for noon today.  

My son spoke to the Carrefour Laval store who told him that they do not evaluate phones - he waited for the callback with Koodo and re-explained everything.  Koodo phoned the store themselves and told my son that they had organized an assessment of his phone at this store.  My son called the store again before leaving (it is 15 km away from our home) and when the rep found out the phone was an apple, he replied that they only look at android models.  My son was on the phone with Koodo for 3 hours this afternoon with ZERO results in rectifying this issue.  

I understand that we are past the 15-30 day return window but this is ~day 50 of a phone that will cost in excess of 550$ and there does not seem to be a plan in place to honor the warranty. Have had 3 lines with Koodo for more than 12 years within a family plan and this is sadly a horrible and frustrating way to treat a loyal customer.  

I am waiting for another callback this evening but I would appreciate any input.  Perhaps the consumer protection office may have some thoughts here in la belle province. 

C and family

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The Telus store is wrong. 

Show them this link

https://www.koodomobile.com/help/certified-pre-owned-phones

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Purchased a iPhone XS max ‘like new’ CPO in mid September for son off the website.  Worked well but shut off 2 separate times during first 3-4 weeks, both times when battery level was ~10%; figured that this was due to low battery level thus advised son to charge phone daily to avoid same issue.  Same ‘shut off’ continued to happen until last week when phone cannot stay on at all.

Called Koodo online and were referred to Apple customer service who when contacted said that since the phone was bought through Koodo, that the warranty was with them (note that the phone came with a 1 year warranty by koodo).  Proceeded to contact Koodo via call back & Twitter who advised us to go to Telus store.  On Nov 4, we did go to store located in Place Vertu shopping center whose rep stated that they do not have a technician to repair/look at phones.  He suggested going to kiosk in same mall and asking the rep there; that was done as well.  The rep called his manager who phoned Koodo customer service and was told to have the phone looked at a telus store with a technician available.  The Koodo phone rep told us to go to the Telus in the Rockland shopping center.  We did on Nov 10 (yesterday) and heard the same story: no technician and call Koodo.  A call-back was scheduled for 8.00pm EST at which point the rep reviewed the issue and suggested we needed to have the phone looked at by a technician; he told us to go to the store in Carrefour Laval or Place Alexis-Nihon as those stores supposedly had a technician who would be able to evaluate the phone - he also scheduled a call back to my son for noon today.  

My son spoke to the Carrefour Laval store who told him that they do not evaluate phones - he waited for the callback with Koodo and re-explained everything.  Koodo phoned the store themselves and told my son that they had organized an assessment of his phone at this store.  My son called the store again before leaving (it is 15 km away from our home) and when the rep found out the phone was an apple, he replied that they only look at android models.  My son was on the phone with Koodo for 3 hours this afternoon with ZERO results in rectifying this issue.  

I understand that we are past the 15-30 day return window but this is ~day 50 of a phone that will cost in excess of 550$ and there does not seem to be a plan in place to honor the warranty. Have had 3 lines with Koodo for more than 12 years within a family plan and this is sadly a horrible and frustrating way to treat a loyal customer.  

I am waiting for another callback this evening but I would appreciate any input.  Perhaps the consumer protection office may have some thoughts here in la belle province. 

C and family

I am not sure why you are being pushed from one location to the other, only to be told that they can’t work on your phone. According to the Koodo page, you made the right choice going to your nearest Telus location to get it fixed. You can visit this link for more information on their warranty and repair policy. https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/warranty-and-repair-policy

In order to better assist you with this issue, I have flagged a Koodo rep to help you out.

Userlevel 4

Hi @Mtl514 sorry to hear you’re given the run around to have your phone checked.  The phone has a warranty and should be handled at a TELUS store.  Please provide the links you were provided and if you’re having more issues you can take the name of the agent  and send us the details on a private message.  Thank you.  

Thank you all for the comments above.

The saga continues….spoke to a Koodo rep on phone x 1 hour yesterday - he took notes, made some calls to colleagues and was ready to send an email confirmation so that the phone could be sent back to Koodo with a replacement coming here until the repair was completed.  5 min later, he came back and said his request was denied since the 30 days had elapsed but he did phone a Telus location near us (wife and son had visited the previous evening) and made arrangements for staff to evaluate the phone. 

Off we went and while the store rep was understanding, patient, and even contacted Koodo/telus himself since the phone would not stay on long enough for the diagnostics via his PC to be completed.  He confirmed (sent screen shots) that this was an issue & he also thought that perhaps the phone’s OS required an update that was causing the shutting off.  They (Koodo/telus) asked him to keep trying via his online SW for the diagnostics - he did this for 45 min without success.  He asked Koodo what to do next and was told that they would phone me today with further instructions including possibly bringing it back to the same store to try again...the rep did tell us he thought the phone should be swapped by the company for another as there was clearly a bug affecting the SW; he suggested that we stand firm when speaking with the company to have this swap done.  Throughout the past 2 days, I had made contact with a rep via the Twitter Koodo account who was trying to escalate matters so that the phone could be evaluated/repaired/replaced - she had mentioned that a manager was to call the Telus store while we were there but that did not happen (perhaps they realized that the store rep was already on the phone with Koodo). Once we left the store, I sent her an update as to the plan for Friday, and when we finally arrived home (8.30) and received another message via Twitter suggesting that if we are told to return to the Telus store today, we should put pressure on them to authorize a mail return of the phone to Koodo?

Have not been called yet but I guess it’s early and I am at work so would not be able to head to the store until later today.  Based on all the feedback and suggestions/comments, I have no idea if this is just Koodo stalling and blocking any rational plan to figure out what to do about this phone or if it is at the store level.  At least, we added myself and my son as ‘authorized’ account holders so that we she doesn’t have to be present each time we do this.  I find it hard to believe that this has never happened before with Koodo’s CPO phones (a functionality issue between day 31 and 365 post purchase).  My wife wants us to just cancel all 3 lines no matter the cost of paying off tabs early but I feel like I have invested so much time in the past week that we have to continue - it’s an iPhone for heaven’s sake.

I’ll let you know what happens next.

C

Userlevel 4

Ohhh no!   I am sorry this issue is still going on when there are clear instructions to what needs to be done.  Can you tell me under what twitter handle you’re using I’d like to see what was proposed and get in touch with the district manager.  Thanks.  

Hi Faby

Thanks for the quick response. I am under @MtlWeb3944 - it is Lavinia who has been politely replying to my DMs…. not sure about the name of the manager.

C

Userlevel 4

Thanks for the handle I’ll see what we can help with and keep you posted.