Koodo Community

choose happy? how can a terrible racism service make me happy?

On January 4, 2019, I went to the Koodo service center in Edmonton City Centre. Since I went to China for a few months, I locked my mobile phone number. I planned to activate my mobile phone. It was 4 pm on Friday; however, there were only two service staffs. I had to wait for 30 minutes for the lane. Finally, there were two more service staffs came, and it was my turn. The service staff Ralny helped me with a terrible attitude. When she found out that my Drive Licence expired (I am a student, and I do not have a car. Therefore, I did not realize that my Drive Licence expired) and my Chinese name, her attitude was even worse. She directly asked me to show my passport. This requirement made me unhappy. Did Canadians unlock a mobile phone SIM card have to carry their passports? Because my Chinese name, she did not ask me for my PR card but my passport? Besides, her attitude is bad, and she did not show me a friendly face. As a citizen and lived in Canada for eight years, it is the first time for me feeling such racism. But the next words she said was not about "it is the rule," she said, "I cannot tell if it is you." I had my cell phone, I had the SIM card, and my PR card was still in my wallet. There are many ways to identify me. But I did not want to talk to her anymore since her despised expression. "I wanted to report talk to your manager." Her manager Curtis Hielema was just standing beside her, he pointed out a Business card holder. It made me understand like "you can report me." Before this event, I was happy. It was just after the New Year. But after this event, I am angry, and I feel disappointed. I am a customer. I came for unlocking my SIM card which would pay more money. I did not come for bad attitude, not racism without respect, not "I need to see your passport."! And the worst thing was her manager watched what happened, and did nothing or feel like supporting her. I do not know where I can report this kind of thing which make really unhappy for a whole day. I am not good at writing. But the most important things I want to say is that I do not like a bad service!

3 replies

What does it mean when you say you "locked your mobile phone number"? If you were trying to sign up for a Koodo plan and they had to do a credit check, showing a passport is one of the ways to show photo ID. I doubt it was anything besides her trying to do what she is supposed to do.

https://www.koodomobile.com/help/credit-check-requirements

As for seeing a friendly face, yes you should certainly see that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Government issued photo ID is required to access your account at a koodo kiosk. A driver's license would have been fine, but expired ID is not acceptable. A passport is the next most common form of photo ID that people might have. If you mentioned that you had recently returned from China it would seem logical that you would have a passport. Permanent resident cards, to my knowledge, are only issued to people who immigrated to Canada since 2002. As far as ID goes, it isn't particularly common. In any case, it would seem to me to be far more racist to demand proof that you are a resident of Canada than to ask for a standard travel document issued by every country in the world. Did they actually refuse to accept your PR card, or did they simply fail to ask for it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Passport is also second on the list of acceptable ID's. It's easier to just go down the list starting with the most common then to name every single option every time a customer comes up to the kiosk.
https://www.koodomobile.com/help/credit-check-requirements