Koodo Community

Community

Carrier Updates from Koodo

Userlevel 3
I updated to iOS 11.1.1 on my iPhone 6s. Koodo's carrier update is currently up to 30.0. When I was on iOS 10.3.3 is was at version 27.4. What does this update on the iPhone?

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Found some iOS 11.1 release notes here.
I don't think carriers make their carrier-specific OTA update release notes publicly available. My guess is that it'd be standard carrier adjustments to the iOS updates. I don't use an iPhone myself, but am aware that they have some sort of carrier integration. If I'm not mistaken, if you were to unlock the iPhone and use it with another carrier, you'd see that carrier's integration version number in the phone.
For more practical applications, we'd have to wait on Koodo to announce VoWiFi/VoLTE or any other carrier-driven features on the iPhone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Carrier update doesn't have to do a big role in your phone but it could be such things as activating wi-fi calling and other similar feature that are available on the iPhone but are blocked by the carreir.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
From apple: "[i]Carrier settings updates let your carrier provider update carrier network and related settings to improve cellular network connectivity and performance. Carrier settings updates can also add support for features like VoLTE or Wi-Fi Calling"
Link: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201270

From my experiences,  each new ios update will have new carrier update, but Carriers could provide themselves many small updates for extra functions like Robert mentioned (WifiCalling...).