Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Carrier Settings Update?

I have an iPhone 6s and this morning started receiving a popup indicating 'Carrier Settings Update' New settings are available.  I would like more information on this and advice on how to proceed.  I do not like to update without first having details on what the update contains and any changes that are being made.  Thanks.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Minor configuration settings updating the information the phone needs to connect to the koodo network. The function of the phone will not change.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
More details here: http://www.howtogeek.com/208620/what-is-that-carrier-settings-update-popup-on-your-iphone/
Wow thanks for the speedy response, Timo!
Hey Timo.
How do I verify the legitimacy of these carrier updates? ANYONE can answer please???
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
kentryon . wrote:

Hey Timo.
How do I verify the legitimacy of these carrier updates? ANYONE can answer please???

Like any iPhone update, carrier settings can only be pushed out through Apple. If Apple is pushing them out, they've already verified them. The article linked above will tell you how to manually check if there is an update available from Apple if you don't want to trust the popup on your phone.
I've recently updated my carrier settings as my phone was requesting it. Since updating, I rarely have any service, and cannot call anyone who isn't an iPhone user. I've reset the network settings, rebooted phone, re-inserted SIM card, everything I can think of. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Michelle Smith wrote:

I've recently updated my carrier settings as my phone was requesting it. Since updating, I rarely...

Are you trying to call via FaceTime, rather than the phone app?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Michelle Smith wrote:

I've recently updated my carrier settings as my phone was requesting it. Since updating, I rarely...

Was your phone originally from Koodo/Telus? and which model was it?
Michelle Smith wrote:

from Koodo, iPhone 5SE
Michelle Smith wrote:

I'm trying to make calls with the phone. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes the calls suddenly drop for no reason.
Michelle Smith wrote:

I also have issues with FaceTime, and iMessaging a non iPhone user. The issue seems to be with the fact that i suddenly lose service though,  not with the apps or phone malfunctioning
Michelle Smith wrote:

My phone will go from 1 bar, to no service to 2 or 3 bars after I toggle airplane mode, then it will show full service for less than a minute, and drop to 1 bar.Sometimes it has an issue even connecting to wifi
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Michelle Smith wrote:

I would reset network settings in your iPhone and update the phone to the latest iOS and see if it helps.
Reset network Settings: Settings Icon > General > Reset. Tap Reset Network Settings.

Userlevel 2
Michelle Smith wrote:

I wondered if Michelle's problem was sorted out. I'm also receiving a carrier settings update notification and am not sure if I should update. I also have a Koodo iphone se. Did resetting network settings help? Thanks.
Michelle Smith wrote:

You should do the carrier settings update.