Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Cannot send international SMS

I cannot send international texts from my iPhone 4. It worked fine with my NZ SIM card, but since signing up with koodo they are not received. I have all my numbers as + int dialing code and have tried using 011 int dialing code but still no joy. I can receive texts from and can make phone calls to these number. The companies are listed as being partnered with koodo. Can anyone help, koodo help has not been very helpful.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
This is weird indeed... Maybe the problem is from the other side? Are the other phone configured to receive international texts? Maybe they are blocking it...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi Sheila, What country/provider are you trying to text to? How exactly has Koodo not been helpful? We'd all love to help but we need some more information 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Unfortunately, international texting can be a nightmare sometimes (the reason I now use alternatives such as Whatsapp). It's obviously either Koodo or the int'l carrier but in my experience the carriers just point the finger at one another. I've had some people overseas receive my texts, while some cannot, and they're on the same network.
Userlevel 2
International texting works like this. Sms leaves the phone, travels through Koodo's network. The network checks the number to ensure that it's correct then it sends the message. The message leaves the Koodo network, travels along and gets received by the receiving provider network, which is then delivered to the phone. In order for this to work, there must be a 2 way agreement between both providers. There are 1 way agreements(which means you can send and not receive and vice versa). If there is a 1 way agreement or no agreement, there isn't anything Koodo would be able to do. If the sms shows that it's having difficulties being delivered before it leaves Koodo's network, then we can take a look to see what the issue is. Beyond this, troubleshooting is limited at best.
Thanks for the responses. I am trying to send to England (orange, virgin, vodafone) and NZ (Vodafone, telstraclear). All are listed on the koodo site as being partnered. The UK contacts are definitely able to receive international texts, as I have been texting them from NZ for the last 8 years. It seems to be all of my non-Canadian contacts that I cannot send texts too, yet I can receive from the and phone them. Koodo help advised me to use the international dialing code, which I was doing, when I explained that I had tried both, for example +64 and 01164, they advised me to delete all the +64 numbers associated with the contact, and just use the 01164. Quite inconvenient as I'm only here in CAnada temporarily, but i did it anyway. When I phoned back to say, unsurprisingly, that the problem still existed, I again spent a lot of time on hold, and then was asked to turn the phone off and remove the sim. I had to hang up the call as was on my mobile. The rep advised she would call back in 5 mins but the call never came. I have a friend, also from NZ, on Koodo, not having the same issues. Very frustrating!
Sheila Hart wrote:

Thanks for the responses. I am trying to send to England (orange, virgin, vodafone) and NZ (Vo...

i had the same experience! I tried to call customer service, asked me to hang up and restart the phone. they told me they would call after 5 minutes which they never did. I called them again then another agent answered. He was clueless as of what happened to my phone so I had to tell the whole damn story again.
Sheila Hart wrote:

Thanks for the responses. I am trying to send to England (orange, virgin, vodafone) and NZ (Vo...

unfortunately they don't help well, my sms deliver to some and don't deliver to others, in the same foreign country and same condition.
Have just spoken to koodo help, and even though my the numbers have been changed to 01144 etc in my contacts, still appearing as 0044 on the network. Off to delete and re-enter again.....
This seems to have worked. Even though all my imported contacts from Google were correct, those stored on the iPhone were old. Even though I clicked on the new number to message, the phone was using the old numbers (which included the 0044 variety, which did not appear anywhere in the contact info I was looking at!). So deleted all off phone, re-synced and seems to be working now. Koodo help we're helpful this morning in advising the need to delete all old messages and contacts off the phone. Let's hope three months of text frustration is now over!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sheila Hart wrote:

This seems to have worked. Even though all my imported contacts from Google were correct, those s...

Great, I'm happy to hear your problems are solved 🙂 I have only one little tip for you, next nice (hopefully not!!!) if ever you have a problem like that, feel free to give us the details right here in this forum. There are many very knowledgable people here and chances are you might get help faster and more efficient than when you call in. Reason being, we here have a collective mind (not quite unlike the Borg) and when you call Koodo, you are dependent on the knowledge of one single agent 😃
Sheila Hart wrote:

This seems to have worked. Even though all my imported contacts from Google were correct, those s...

Thanks Sophia, as you say let's hope I don't need to, but if I have any other issues I'll post to this forum.
Sheila Hart wrote:

I can not send international sms well, my sms deliver to some and don't deliver to others, in the same foreign country and same condition.
what's wrong ?
I use android and sony cell phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sheila Hart wrote:

@Kamran: this thread is 4 year old, I am not sure if the information is relevant to your problem. It might be better to open a new thread https://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/new