Koodo Community

Community

Solved

cancelling and unlocking my Iphone

I am a current koodo customer. if i need to cancel my plan and i pay of the remainder of my iphone 4, can i unlock it so i can use it with verizon in the USA?

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You can only unlock it before you cancel. You’re eligible to get your phone unlocked if: your account is currently active and in good standing if you have a negative Tab balance, you must be active on the Koodo network for at least 90 days if you have a positive Tab balance, you can request an unlock any time Just give Koodo a call *611 on your Koodo cell
Can I unlock it and then cancel after?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Kait Ryan wrote:

Can I unlock it and then cancel after?

Yes. Just don't do it the other way around as you need an active account to get it unlocked via Koodo. Note that 3rd party unlocking of iPhones are expensive. Like around $100 to unlock.
ok so what do you suggest if i am planning on cancelling my account on march 16th (to be affective one month later on April 16th) should i wait to unlock it on march 15th? and also once i unlock it am i able to still use the phone in canada as well as the usa?
Userlevel 7
Kait Ryan wrote:

ok so what do you suggest if i am planning on cancelling my account on march 16th (to be affectiv...

You can unlock it whenever you want, unlocking your phone won't cancel your service it will simply be unlocked. Just make sure to unlock it before you cancel as Dennis points out. Yep, you are still able to use the phone in the USA or canada after it is unlocked. You can use it with any provider as long as the frequencies programmed into your phone are the same, after it is unlocked.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Kait Ryan wrote:

ok so what do you suggest if i am planning on cancelling my account on march 16th (to be affectiv...

Shoot I just noticed that you want to use it with Verizon. I don't think a Koodo iPhone 4 is compatible with Verizon (they don't use sim cards) even if unlocked
Userlevel 7
Kait Ryan wrote:

Verizon has a weird hybrid GSM/CDMA system going on for their devices but if you bring a phone over to them I'm pretty sure they can activate SIM service for you. I would look at T Mobile instead; I don't know how that much about U.S carriers but from what I see, T-Mobile's becoming the Koodo of the US.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Kait Ryan wrote:

I thought Verizon's GSM network is only 4G LTE only, otherwise it is all CDMA. For an iPhone 4 to work it will require the Verizon CDMA version http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Apple-iPhone-4-Verizon_id5132
Userlevel 7
Kait Ryan wrote:

T-MOBILE is definitely the best choice if you're hitting the states and find out your phone won't work with Verizon. AT&T rates are ridiculous for data.
ok thank you , i also would like to know if anyone knows where the SIM card is on the Iphone 4 because apparently there is.
Userlevel 4
Kait Ryan wrote:

ok thank you , i also would like to know if anyone knows where the SIM card is on the Iphone 4 be...

There is a spot on the side of the phone with a little hole. usually, there is a "key" for that hole. You can use a pin but be careful. It will have a small tray that will pop out.
Use Remote unlocking method to unlock your iPhone 4 from carrier lock . You can get it from any of the online vendors like Unlock-Zone.com and get unlocking instructions from the provider http://www.mobileunlockguide.com/apple-iphone-4 to unlock it . after unlocking your iphone 4, you can use it with other GSM carriers not with cdma carrier .
Userlevel 7
ladys wrote:

Use Remote unlocking method to unlock your iPhone 4 from carrier lock . You can get it from any o...

Koodo is less expensive then the above