Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Cancel current contract and then get new number with koodo?

I want to cancel my monthly contract with my current provider and then go with prepaid with Koodo. I know I can port my number to Koodo before cancelling my monthly plan, but as I live in a new area with a new area code I need to change my number anyways. My question is, if I cancel my current contract (deactivating the phone number), and get the phone unlocked, can I then bring it to Koodo, pop a prepaid SIM card and get a new phone number put on the phone? Can I do all this in self-serve? Thank you!

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Maybe, all depends on your current device. Whatcha got?
iPhone 4S with Bell
Userlevel 7
Darcy Worth wrote:

iPhone 4S with Bell

You'd have to get Bell to unlock the phone or a 3rd party first. But otherwise, yes you can do that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Darcy Worth wrote:

iPhone 4S with Bell

Also ask yourself the question if you would rather put the unlocking fee towards a new phone. Bell charges $50 to unlock a phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Darcy Worth wrote:

iPhone 4S with Bell

4s a little long in the tooth. I agree with dfbutt. Think new phone and flog the old one on Kijiji. Lots of takers for Bell iphones, I bet.
Darcy Worth wrote:

iPhone 4S with Bell

Any recommendations?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Darcy Worth wrote:

iPhone 4S with Bell

It's too personal a choice. If you are happy with the Apple ecosystem consider sticking with their newer models. No learning curve there.