Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Can't text other iPhone users without using internet

I have a brand new iPhone (first Apple phone) and I do not have 3G on it. I have turned on the 'Send as SMS' option in order to send messages as SMS when I am not connected to wifi, as did another iPhone user in order to see if that would solve the problem. I am able to send him text messages that way, however when he tries to text me his messages still go as iMessage even when I am not connected to wifi and thus I am unable to receive them. Is there any way to fix this issue without having him turn off iMessage? This is an issue I don't want to have to deal with everytime I text someone who is an iPhone user.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
No, there isn't a way to fix this without turning off iMessage. You need to turn off your iMessage completely. The problem is because you have iMessage on (probably because you use it on wifi), it tries to send the message as an iMessage. It could take hours for it to fail and send as an SMS. If you don't have a data plan, don't use iMessage. Not even on wifi.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I suggest to turn iMessage off too because it will most likely bring more trouble then advantages...
The problem with that is that when i turn it off, messages from other iphone users still try to come in as iMessage
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Anaïs Lafreniere Bournival wrote:

The problem with that is that when i turn it off, messages from other iphone users still try to c...

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage Use the second option, even though you still have your iPhone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You may have to get your friends to delete all Messages conversations with you, and create a new contact for you. Or, you could buy a plan with a small amount of data, and turn off everything but Messages.