Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Can shock free data alerts be sent to email?

I just activated two phones with Koodo, the sales person said we could use the self serve site to set up the shock free notification to go to our email address.  This was to avoid our kids unblocking the data.  Looking through the serf serve section, I can't find any way of setting this up.  Is it actually possible or did the sales person mislead us?

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The data usage alerts are text notifications. I'll check if anyone can unblock the data or just account holders.
Ivan wrote:

The data usage alerts are text notifications. I'll check if anyone can unblock the data or just a...

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

The data usage alerts are text notifications. I'll check if anyone can unblock the data or just a...

Tim, the data notifications always go to the user at this point. If despite topping out your children unblock their data, one way I myself quickly corrected that behaviour is by slapping a $2/mnth feature on their line. They can't touch that unless you give them access to your online account. This completely blocks data for them but leaving voice and text still working. My kids learnt their lesson in one month and we had smooth sailing ever since.
Ivan wrote:

Unfortunately the sales person told me that I could send the alert to my email and by doing this I would be able to control unblocking the data.  What is this $2/month feature you are talking about?  You mention that it would completely block data for them.  By my understanding this would mean, I'd be paying $2/month more so that my kids don't have data?  Its hard to make sense of why that should cost more.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

Although I don't have all the details of the discussion I would say, based on what you are saying, they were wrong. We'll definitely provide your feedback to them.

The $2 feature allows complete block of data. When yo put it on data will be blocked until add-on is removed. It's a feature for people who don't want to incur any data charges at all and want the additional piece of mind of shutting data off not only on their phone. It still alows people to send picture message which requires access to the data "pipe".
This same feature is what I used to sort of give my kids a lesson, and they learnt very quickly that if they don't watch their data use and do something they were told not to i.e. replying 'yes' to continue to use data they risk the privilege of data access.

The add-on can be found when you log into your account and look for ad-on changes under your plan detail.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

@Tim Thorpe The idea would be to switch the offender to a voice and text plan only for the month, with the $2 data block, so the overall charge would be less.
Ivan wrote:

Is this something that I can add from the self serve portal?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

Yes:

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

Yes: