Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Can my sister purchase an iphone and put it on my account?


If I send my sister to purchase an unlocked iphone 5 for me, can she switch it onto my prepaid account although the account is not on her name? she is 19.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Where is she buying the iPhone from? Since you claim it's unlocked, sounds like either Apple or a seller on Kijiji. Obviously no IDs or account access issues will arise here. Then she can buy a prepaid nano SIM from a Koodo shop or anywhere else they're sold ($20 + tax) and then bring it to you so you can activate it yourself. If she knows your login details then she could do this change herself in Self Serve but then you wouldn't be able to use it until the phone is in your possession.
I am purchasing it off Kijiji, however the guy I'm buying from bought it unlocked off apple. If she changes the account, will it go under her name? Can I keep my old number?
Userlevel 7
Jeroen Vandewetering wrote:

I am purchasing it off Kijiji, however the guy I'm buying from bought it unlocked off apple. If s...

You're not changing the account ownership or anything. Just which SIM card your phone # is registered to. Then you put it in the iPhone 5 and as long as it works, you're good to go.
Jeroen Vandewetering wrote:

I am purchasing it off Kijiji, however the guy I'm buying from bought it unlocked off apple. If s...

Thanks so much, you've been a great help! 😃
Userlevel 7
Jeroen Vandewetering wrote:

I am purchasing it off Kijiji, however the guy I'm buying from bought it unlocked off apple. If s...

You're welcome! Just one last suggestion: I know it would suck to go without your phone for a bit until she brings it to you, but I would get her to switch the SIM card BEFORE buying the phone that way she can verify it works in the phone before you hand over the cash. Just to make sure you're safe, you know?
Jeroen Vandewetering wrote:

I am purchasing it off Kijiji, however the guy I'm buying from bought it unlocked off apple. If s...

Well she is buying it today, and switching it today as well. so I will have it by tonight if all goes well. I posted a wanted ad which he replied to, so the phone does not have an ad online. The phone is still in the box. He bought it because he lost his other phone. However right when he bought the iphone he found his work was providing him a phone.
Jeroen Vandewetering wrote:

I am purchasing it off Kijiji, however the guy I'm buying from bought it unlocked off apple. If s...

However, my sister is not an account holder, does that make a difference?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jeroen Vandewetering wrote:

I am purchasing it off Kijiji, however the guy I'm buying from bought it unlocked off apple. If s...

You're way overthinking this, Jeroen 🙂 There IS no account holder for the phone since you (or your sister, makes no difference) are purchasing it from a third party... not Koodo. Just insert the SIM card after you activate it in self service and you're good to go. Please be careful you're not being scammed though, you hear such strange stories about Kijiji. 😞 PS je hebt een mooie naam 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jeroen Vandewetering wrote:

I am purchasing it off Kijiji, however the guy I'm buying from bought it unlocked off apple. If s...

Since your sister is not the account holder, she may not be allowed to change the sim card on the account. She should have no problems purchasing an unactivated sim card which can then be activated online or over the phone.

Reply