Koodo Community
Question

Can I use a prepaid SIM for data-only in a MiFi device

Show first post

50 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Update on this - I've had a reply from TP-Link confirming that the M7350 won't work well (at all?...But not with koodo. Koodo uses 850/1900 in the 3G band. I'm not sure who would use those frequencies in Canada
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Update on this - I've had a reply from TP-Link confirming that the M7350 won't work well (at all?...Nobody in Canada uses 900/2100. My UK Vodafone hotspot works here because it has 3G 850/900/2100.
Userlevel 1
Update on this - I've had a reply from TP-Link confirming that the M7350 won't work well (at all?...Ivan - why do you need all 3 frequencies? The M7350 says it works on 850MHz, although that's listed under EDGE/GPRS/GSM then lists 900 and 2100 under DC-HSPA+ (3G I believe). So is it really different?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Update on this - I've had a reply from TP-Link confirming that the M7350 won't work well (at all?...Yes it is really different. The technologies are different with each network type and not (backwards) compatible with one another. If a frequency is set for use on one network standard but not another, it just will not work because that's how the device was built. Only Rogers in Canada has a 2G(edge/gprs/gsm) network which is practically unusable for data in 2016 outside of messaging and GPS. So you could potentially use it on Rogers but no other network. That's the other reason it won't work even if it didn’t matter with Koodo because the 3G/4G (HSPA+) frequencies are not compatible.
Userlevel 1
Update on this - I've had a reply from TP-Link confirming that the M7350 won't work well (at all?...Thanks - yes I kinda figured that out after I'd sent my last reply. OK, I think this device is dead in the water for me. I'll send it back and think again.
Badge +4
The device will not work at all on 3G. Koodo, which is a subsidiary of TELUS, operates on UMTS/HSPA frequencies of 850/1900 MHz, or B5/B2. The same can be said for Bell and Rogers which are Canada's other predominant carriers. Carriers in Canada proclaim that 97% of the 'population' has wireless coverage. In terms of geographic coverage, current digital network coverage is close to 1.3 million square kilometres, representing about 14% of Canada’s total land area. These figures are from an older report, the numbers have probably increased marginally from 2006 to present day. The point is that Canada is a massive country and does not have 100% wireless coverage, geographically. 10 MB/s equals 80 Mbps is pretty good. Most speed tests I've seen for Koodo 3G are somewhere around 22 Mbps or 2.75 MB/s. Location, type of phone or device used and cell coverage are all factors that may enhance or degrade performance.
Userlevel 1
Rikkster - thanks. I meant 10Mb/s not 10MB/sec (sadly!). Looks like I need to send the device back to Amazon and reconsider my options...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rikkster - thanks. I meant 10Mb/s not 10MB/sec (sadly!). Looks like I need to send the device bac...This one will offer you global 3G support:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZTE-MF60-Mobile-Hotspot--Unlocked/dp/B005KLOLM2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=...
Userlevel 1
Rikkster - thanks. I meant 10Mb/s not 10MB/sec (sadly!). Looks like I need to send the device bac...Thanks...do you know whether they have a 4G version?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rikkster - thanks. I meant 10Mb/s not 10MB/sec (sadly!). Looks like I need to send the device bac...How much are you looking to spend. You might be able to just pickuo a cheaper prepaid koodo phone at walmart that has the hotspot capacity
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rikkster - thanks. I meant 10Mb/s not 10MB/sec (sadly!). Looks like I need to send the device bac...Looking at the exchange rates a Moto E prepaid via Best buy in Canada is about the same price and you get a spiffy little smartphone instead.
Userlevel 1
Rikkster - thanks. I meant 10Mb/s not 10MB/sec (sadly!). Looks like I need to send the device bac...I guess around CAD 200 including the SIM and data package (maybe 1Gb over 2.5 weeks) would be OK. I spent about that in roaming charges last time I travelled in North America for 2 weeks without a local SIM. Do the cheaper pay-as-you-go phones offer a hotspot facility? That could kill two birds with one stone, as we may want to use voice for RV site bookings.
Userlevel 1
Rikkster - thanks. I meant 10Mb/s not 10MB/sec (sadly!). Looks like I need to send the device bac...Like this? Goran? Sounds like a good idea, although I guess the signal reception may not be quite as good as a dedicated MiFi device. But for us it could solve the problem and also give us a phone we could call and make RV site bookings on...

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/motorola-telus-motorola-moto-e-8gb-black-prepaid-moto-e/10383277...

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rikkster - thanks. I meant 10Mb/s not 10MB/sec (sadly!). Looks like I need to send the device bac...A yes that is the one. It should do fine for signal reception still. Motorola products in general are very good for reception. Yes you could then make phone calls as well and you'd have a convenient backup phone should whatever you currently use breakdown. Motorola unlock codes can be bought for 3-5CAD as well off of eBay. Motorola also just released android 6.0.1 for it as well so it'll be quite usable for a long time.
Userlevel 1
Rikkster - thanks. I meant 10Mb/s not 10MB/sec (sadly!). Looks like I need to send the device bac...Awesome! So all I need with this is a Koodo pre-paid SIM with the requisite data bolt-on, presumably?

Is there a Canadian retailer I could get them both from at the same time?

I could, I guess, order online for delivery to my starting location (a Calgary hotel) on the day we arrive, although that's a little risky...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rikkster - thanks. I meant 10Mb/s not 10MB/sec (sadly!). Looks like I need to send the device bac...You can go to the nearest Bestbuy location and you can get both done quickly. They also set up mobile services in their store locations, should you be concerned about shipping to a hotel.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rikkster - thanks. I meant 10Mb/s not 10MB/sec (sadly!). Looks like I need to send the device bac...It depends which signal you're talking about. A dedicated hotspot device will usually create a better local network for multiple connections (but if you're only using two phones, I doubt that this will affect you). But there's no reason for it to have a better cellular antenna than a phone.
Badge +4
The specs for the ZTE MF60 show 3G (UMTS) frequencies of 900/2100 MHz (Dual Band). I did find a model from Huawei: Huawei E5776s-32 http://www.store4g.com/huawei-e5776/ Network specs: 4G LTE CAT 4 FDD 800/900/1800/2100/2600 MHz (LTE B1 B3 B7 B8 B20) [b]3G HSDPA/HSUPA/UMTS/WCDMA 850/900/1900/2100 MHz (WCDMA B1 [b]B2 B5 B8) 2G GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900 MHz 3G mode only and it doesn't mention whether the device is unlocked. I could not find a similar device that offered 4G that would work here in Canada. The Huawei is rather pricey. I agree with others that a cheap prepaid phone might be the better alternative. The Moto E would work and would allow you to set up a mobile Wi-Fi hotspot, which would then allow you to share data across other devices. https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/99021/p/30,6720,9146
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The specs for the ZTE MF60 show 3G (UMTS) frequencies of 900/2100 MHz (Dual Band). I did find a m...http://www.amazon.com/ZTE-MF60-Hotspot-worldwide-T-Mobile/dp/B005IDLYK4

Quad band. They do call it "Global Mobile Hotspot."
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Also, if you are planning to use your phone as a GPS, I recommend installing a mapping application with maps on the phone, rather than Apple or Google Maps which rely on cellular downloads of maps. I use Copilot Live, and others on this forum have recommended Here Maps in the past.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Also, if you are planning to use your phone as a GPS, I recommend installing a mapping applicatio...Second for here. Can't beat free + offline.
Userlevel 1
Also, if you are planning to use your phone as a GPS, I recommend installing a mapping applicatio...Yes, I have Copilot for the same reason, although I had to download all 2Gb of North America maps just to get 2 Canadian states... someone else recommended Pocket Earth (about GBP 4) which I've now downloaded onto my UK iPhone and iPad Mini including maps for AB and BC, which looks promising. I'm just figuring out how to use it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Also, if you are planning to use your phone as a GPS, I recommend installing a mapping applicatio...Here maps will let you download just BC + AB.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Also, if you are planning to use your phone as a GPS, I recommend installing a mapping applicatio...Copilot allows me to download a 327 MB Canada maps file.