Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Can I upgrade my phone if I have a prepaid plan?

I currently have an iPhone 5S and am looking to upgrade to the 7. Can I still upgrade with a prepaid plan or would I have to pay retail price?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
All prepaid plans use unsubsidized phones. Grab the phone you want unlocked from Apple, and use it how you wish.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hello Drea,

You can stay with prepaid, but you would need to pay the retail price because with prepaid there's no tab system in order to subsidize your phone.
Robert wrote:

Hello Drea,

You can stay with prepaid, but you would need to pay the retail price because with p...

So for example, I am on a prepaid system with a Samsung Galaxy S3 but I need to upgrade my phone. Lets say I upgrade, I would need to pay the retail price but I can still keep my prepaid plan? Correct?

Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Hello Drea,

You can stay with prepaid, but you would need to pay the retail price because with p...

Correct. You just cant get phones on the tab as a prepaid customer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Hello Drea,

There are no subsidies or "deals" on prepaid phones. If you are willing to wait a bit for iPhone 7, consider waiting a few more weeks and see if there's an announcement in September regarding iPhone 8 that would affect iPhone 7 existing prices.

https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/iphone-8/