Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Can I still use my camera but turn off text/calls/data while on vacation internationally?

I have an iPhone 4S. I am going on vacation to Mexico for a week and do not want to incur any charges. I considered leaving the phone at home but I want to use the camera to take photos. 

I've read that I need to enable airplane mode and turn my data off to ensure no roaming charges. Would this mean 0 additional charges but still allow me to use the camera? 

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You can use the phone's camera in airplane mode and you will not get charged for data.
Ivan wrote:

You can use the phone's camera in airplane mode and you will not get charged for data.

Awesome. Thank you very much!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Best way to is to just remove your SIM Card then there's no chance of accidentally turning the phone on and incurring charges. Just make sure to put it in a safe place so you don't lose it so you can put it back in the phone when you return from your trip.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

Best way to is to just remove your SIM Card then there's no chance of accidentally turning the ph...

Paul's advice is bulletproof. If the phone reboots for any reason, there is no way for it to accidentally get involved in any chargeable connections once the SIM is removed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Best way to is to just remove your SIM Card then there's no chance of accidentally turning the ph...

If a phone reboots in airplane mode, it's still in airplane mode.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Normally, yes. But  without the SIM there's physically no way anything can go wrong accidentally.