Koodo Community
Solved

Can i sign 2 years contract phone but keep it and use my old one?

• 14 March 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

I am now using “bring my own phone” plan with unlocked iPhone. I was looking to buy a new phone with 2 year contract but not planning to use right away as  my current one still works. I will keep the phone to use later but will pay the phone bill and tap (for phone every month).

can I do that?

icon

Best answer by Sophia 14 March 2021, 22:13

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

First, can you buy a phone and not use it right away? Of course :)

However, whether you can buy a phone on the tab (not contract) depends on what plan you have currently. There are a few restrictions such as price of the plan, age etc. Best way to see if you qualify is try and buy the iPhone you want on the tab.

Other options are to buy the phone outright from Apple, or change your plan to an in market one if all else fails.

Userlevel 1

First, can you buy a phone and not use it right away? Of course :)

However, whether you can buy a phone on the tab (not contract) depends on what plan you have currently. There are a few restrictions such as price of the plan, age etc. Best way to see if you qualify is try and buy the iPhone you want on the tab.

Other options are to buy the phone outright from Apple, or change your plan to an in market one if all else fails.

Thanks for point that out, Sophia. I have checked the phone i wanted cost right now in the market is about $670 (Iphone SE 128 gb) i couldn’t any find cheaper place other than Koodo ($432). Others are iike $669+ and i will be saving $258. Apple price is $670 and i don’t have money..https://www.koodomobile.com/phones/iphone-se-2ndgen

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Right, that’s a nice offer but it does say that only select plans apply. Have you tried to order one through self serve and does it allow you go proceed with getting this offer?

Userlevel 1

Right, that’s a nice offer but it does say that only select plans apply. Have you tried to order one through self serve and does it allow you go proceed with getting this offer?

My current plan is $55 with 13 gb data. However, i couldn’t order online it says with my account i have to visit Koodo store only. Not sure if it is because of i am a new Koodo customer ( moved from Telus on Jan)  they might want to check my credit or something! Thanks btw

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Ah yes, that is probably why you can’t order a phone online, it’s too soon after you got your plan (I believe the standard time is 90 days to make changes).

The silver lining is that in the store you can try and put a little pressure on as well, tell them you are indeed a brand new customer, but you changed your mind on getting a phone with the plan. Hope you can get what you want!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you are not expecting to use the phone soon-ish, I highly advise on waiting as a new phone loses value very quickly. New models come out every year and what seems like a good deal now may result in you paying too much if you are not planning on using the phone prior to the next iPhone model release date. 

Userlevel 1

Ah yes, that is probably why you can’t order a phone online, it’s too soon after you got your plan (I believe the standard time is 90 days to make changes).

The silver lining is that in the store you can try and put a little pressure on as well, tell them you are indeed a brand new customer, but you changed your mind on getting a phone with the plan. Hope you can get what you want!

Updated : got phone the next day, i had to visit store to get the phone due to my newbie account. Connection fee will have to be in billed next month due to visiting physical store but i don’t mind. I keep the phone to use next time and asked staff to confirm about how i wanted to keep the phone for awhile without using, she replied with i can do it!