Koodo Community

Community

Can I setup Personal Hotspot with iPhone with Prepaid Koodo account?

I have added $30 my Data Booster add-ons on my Prepaid account, but when I go to Setting > Cellular > Personal Hotspot in my iPhone 7, it would not let me. Can I use Personal Hotspot in Prepaid account?

53 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yes, you should be able to set up your phone as a hotspot. I have no experience with iPhone, but I frequently use it on my Android. What error are you getting?
It is not much of an error, when I select "Set Up Personal Hotspot" from the iPhone setting, a message pops up saying "To enable Personal Hotspot on this account, contact Koodo"
I've tried different iPhone, same result. Is it true that Prepaid account in Koodo don't have the personal hotspot option?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
EM wrote:

It is not much of an error, when I select "Set Up Personal Hotspot" from the iPhone setting, a me...

Well I'm on prepaid, and I definitely use the hotspot. In fact i used it only last week, because my husband forgot to download something on his tablet so I enabled it for him to use my phone to get it... and I have used it on several phones before.

I'm not sure what you'd need to contact Koodo for, but I'll post it in our liaison group and hopefully you'll get an answer soon 🙂
EM wrote:

It is not much of an error, when I select "Set Up Personal Hotspot" from the iPhone setting, a me...

I have the same issue. I picked up data plan for my tablet (iPad) , when I select "Set Up Personal Hotspot" from the iPad setting, a message pops up saying "To enable Personal Hotspot on this account, contact Telus". Why Telus? My APN setting is “sp.koodo.com”
EM wrote:

EM wrote:

EM wrote:

I also did reset for my iPad Network Setting, but it doesn’t help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
EM wrote:

@Elena: was your plan a prepaid plan? or the new tablet plan $15 for 3GB?
the APN sp.koodo.com seems to be the correct one as per this https://www.koodomobile.com/help/i-cant-connect-internet

I would suggest you also try [i]isp.koodo.com and see if it can do anything, (restart after you change the APN)

EM wrote:

My plan is a new tablet plan $15 for 3GB. When I changed APN to “isp.koodo.com” I have no data on my tablet. With sp.koodo.com I have data but personal hotspot is disabled.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
EM wrote:

@Elena: I haven't seen information prohibited users to share data on the tablet plan. It could be a thing, but only Koodo can confirm it. In this post a similar customer claimed he could do it on iphone but not ipad https://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/unable-to-use-my-ipad-as-hotspot-on-tablet-plan

I would suggest you contact them directly and ask. Send message to their facebook (https://www.facebook.com/Koodo) will avoid the wait on phone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
EM wrote:

From a Public Mobile forum, easily reversible and it can't hurt anything:

Re: Wifi Hotspot Does not Work
@Koosha, some devices seem to need to have dun in the APN type field in order to have wifi hotspot work.  I have no idea why as some of my devices need it and some don't.  Please edit the APN and ensure that default,supl,mms,dun are added to the APN type field. 

EM wrote:

I don’t have APN type field in my iPad settings. Please take a look at the picture from my previous posts.
EM wrote:

Try this:
Setting  >  Cellular > Cellular Data Options >  Cellular Data Network > Under "APN" use "sp.koodo.com", there was an typo with an extra "i" before "sp", delete the "i" you should be okay.
I was using unlockit.co.nz to setup the APN, they have everything right except the extra "i" they put in front of "sp" under PERSONAL HOTSPOT  
EM wrote:

I have only one APN field and it is set for sp.koodo.con
EM wrote:

It looks like my account has wrong cofiguratiion on the Koodo server. Please take a look at the following picture. Even if my APN set for “sp.koodo.com” my personal hotspot titled “Telus”

EM wrote:

You can see the same picture at the Help topic from Koodo https://www.koodomobile.com/help/i-cant-connect-internet
EM wrote:

The same issue reported here: https://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/unable-to-use-my-ipad-as-hotspot-on-tablet-plan
Badge +4
EM wrote:

Was your iPad purchased through TELUS? Do you have a Koodo or TELUS SIM card installed? Looking at the iPad screenshots, I'm not seeing any reference to a carrier (TELUS or Koodo) in the notifications area, nor do I see a signal strength reading. Can you post a screenshot from the About Phone section? (Settings > General > About). Looking for the network and carrier, specifically.
EM wrote:

My iPad was purchased at Aple store. SIM card installed by Koodo technique. Before installing SIM card he did Network reset in my iPad settings. After turning my iPad ON and checking APN setting it was set for “isp .telus.com”. He changed APN setting for “sp.koodo.com”. So, my iPad has a data now, but I can’t share it true personal hotspot.
EM wrote:

He installed Koodo SIM card, but when I go at Setting->General->About
Network setting : Koodo
Carrier: Telus 32.0
EM wrote:

Maybe he did something wrong? I think I need go back and ask him for SIM card replacement
EM wrote:

Please go at my first post from yesterday. You will see all my screens I have posted.
EM wrote:

Please go at my first post from yesterday. You will see all my screens I have posted.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
EM wrote:

None of the screens you posted show any connection, either Wi-Fi or Cellular. There should be an icon as seen on the upper left of the iPhone screens of your daughter.
EM wrote:

Yes, I have at the top left side the same icon “Koodo”