Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Can I access internet with my phone on board a cruise line that has GSM service?

How to access my phone service on board a cruise line?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You would connect to the ship's system, but you'd probably pay through the nose!!! If you really need Internet while cruising, pay for their WiFi. It's still very expensive but at least you know what you will be charged.

When we were on a cruise, we just connected to WiFi in ports, that was usually free. You're on vacation, just switch it off while sailing 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
As long as roaming is enabled, then yes you will be able to get data services.  Note that it will be 2G EDGE data.  So it will be slow.  Uploading of photos or facebooking would be frustrating.  I would only use a web browser for email and disable any data usage from all other apps
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Your best not to. Use the cruise ships WiFi and download Skype or fongo or google hangouts to make calls. Fees for using a phone on satellite(cruise ships) are astronomical.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You should know that the data roaming rate on "satellite," including cruise ships out to sea, is 15 dollars PER MEGABYTE. And 7 dollars per minute. Texting remains fre incoming and 60 cents for each sent text. If you need services, it's worth it to pay for Internet passes on the ship and use Fongo or textnow. You would pay less to get your own sat phone line in all honesty even.