Koodo Community

Community

BUNDLE30 and US roaming add-on needs disclaimer

Concerning the BUNDLE30 deal- In the info sheet, Koodo says it will automatically purchase another $15 for whatever type of usage exceeds the initial bundle (ex: another $15 will be charged if/when you exceed the initial 40MB data). However(!), it should be understood that you will NOT see a service text message to let you know when that happens, which essentially means, you will not have any idea as to what your usage is. I assumed that I would know when an additional add-on would be charged to my account- that way I would have some idea of my usage. The service I just spoke with on the phone said that it can take up to 3 months(!) for Koodo to know your usage for roaming in the US- is this really true? And yet the usage was clearly in time for my bill? Hmmm, interesting...I feel like this would be a grand service improvement. Is it not possible to send a service text message to alert the customer when an additional roaming add-on is being charged? And if it's really not possible to have accurate real-time or near real-time usage updates, this is should be a disclaimer for the BUNDLE30 deal or any other roaming add-on so that customers, like myself, aren't greatly surprised and dismayed to see additional charges, fair as they are, on the account bill.

25 replies

Userlevel 2
It's difficult for Koodo to determine your roaming usage in realtime and notify you of any overage because it depends on the roaming carrier. If the roaming carrier does not share this usage immediately with Koodo, they can only charge you after the fact. It's possible that the roaming carrier consolidates the information and transmits it to Koodo at the end of the day, or maybe once a week, or possibly once a month. This could explain why it may take up to 3 months. It's not within Koodo's control but the carrier you roam with in the US. It could be worse if you roam with multiple carriers in the US depending on the coverage area.
And that I totally understand...but this should be addressed in the information for purchasing roaming bundles so that customers are fully aware of everything that they are agreeing to when purchasing a roaming add-on. If this information, that usage while roaming in the US cannot be calculated until after the fact (as long as 3 months), is explained in the roaming add-on FAQ, was available, I could have been more conservative in my usage, simply not used my Koodo phone at all while in the US, or purchased a US pre-paid card. Without full knowledge of how the roaming add-ons work, I could not make the best decision for myself as a consumer.
Userlevel 4
kolavak wrote:

And that I totally understand...but this should be addressed in the information for purchasing ro...

OR you can get an app for your phone to help monitor your usage 🙂
kolavak wrote:

And that I totally understand...but this should be addressed in the information for purchasing ro...

So, am I alone in thinking that Koodo couldn't/shouldn't have to say that it won't notify you when another roaming add-on is being charged?
Userlevel 4
kolavak wrote:

Not neccessarily. You did just post this an hour ago. Give it some time and I am sure there are others who would agree. A customer is responsible for usage. Knowing how much comes with the roaming plan, the usage monitor app can assist you. U.S. Roaming Data - $15/40 MB for 30 days •For $15, enjoy 40MB of data while travelling within continental U.S., Hawaii and Alaska for 30 days •If your usage goes over the add-on bucket, another one will automatically be added at the same price. No overage fees! Based on that, I will agree about the notification when the new bucket of data is added. At the same time, a customer should still be mindful of their usage
Userlevel 2
kolavak wrote:

kolavak, I can see where you are coming from: you *assumed* that you would be notified via text if another add-on was being added to your bill once you were over your bundle limit, and then when you were not notified, you were surprised about the additional add-on charge. You set certain self-imposed expectations on the bundle and when they were not met, you were disappointed that Koodo did not meet them. But simply because Koodo does *not* say it will *not* do something imply that you should assume they will do it. Taking this statement to hyperbolic levels: just because a car manufacturer does not say that their cars will not float on water doesn't mean that you can drive your car into the lake and expect it to float. Nonetheless, I think it is reasonable to state that no notification will be sent. However, I would not be surprised if Koodo did do this, then someone else comes along and reads that clause and says, "Hey Koodo, why can't you notify us before you charge an additional add-on?". Then it would have to be explained how roaming usage is shared amongst the worldwide carriers (which would cause most people's eyes to just glaze over) and how the information can be delayed up to 3 months, etc... blah... blah... blah. Suddenly, a simple bundle description becomes a small novella on a webpage just explaining US roaming. So what were we talking about again? The weather?
Userlevel 4
kolavak wrote:

"just because a car manufacturer does not say that their cars will not float on water doesn't mean that you can drive your car into the lake and expect it to float." Virtual Star!
kolavak wrote:

My husband and I were just surprized by this too, only we did not get bumped up. We got roaming charges. We used it, we will pay, but we will never use this service in the US again, Ever.
Userlevel 6
kolavak wrote:

What so you mean you didn't get bumped up? What happened Janeanne?
kolavak wrote:

We got charged with data and roaming, you know the usual stuff.
Userlevel 2
kolavak wrote:

Unless you have the addons, you are going to get charged the roaming fees.
Userlevel 6
@Kovalak I'm totally with you on this one! If they can't notify you in real time they should at least disclose at the time of purchase what will happen. "There will not be a notification sent when you use more Texts, Talk, or Data than what’s included, a new bucket will be added just for that service at $15." It's not that difficult. 🙂 At least I know what to expect now.
@tyler c - Excellent point about monitor apps, but do you have apps that also monitor minutes and text messaging as well? I haven't been able to find apps that monitor usage other than data. @quasarito If you'd like to argue semantics, I can't say I fully agree with the comparison. Car manufacturers also don't say that their car will not make popcorn or won't do one's taxes, but would one use them for those purposes? I certainly wouldn't and don't have such expectations. I bought the roaming add-on bundle so that I could use my phone for calls, texting, and internet activity, which is what the phone is for. That's hardly going out of the bounds, I'd say. Anyway, if Koodo sends me a text to notify me that my initial purchase of the BUNDLE30 has taken place, is it unreasonable to think or expect that it will send me another text as per the terms of automatic purchase of more installments? I personally think it's much easier for everything to be explained upfront, just as you@quasarito did here in this thread. That saves me, as well as other customers like@chris here, a lot of frustration and time on the phone calling customer service to explain something that is obviously very easily to be written out for everyone to read. I find it disconcerting that it is so convenient for a company to leave out what apparently is very important regarding a service I'm paying for. @chris- glad I'm not alone here! I think your suggestion could easily slip into the FAQ about roaming add-ons. I definitely know what to expect for next time as well.
Userlevel 2
kolavak wrote:

@tyler c - Excellent point about monitor apps, but do you have apps that also monitor minu...

My apologies. My analogy wasn't meant to be a serious comparison with your situation. That is why I prefaced it stating that is was a hyperbole. However, I believe you understand my point: omitting to say you do not do something does not imply that you do it. I'd imagine that the people at Koodo have already considered notifying its clients when renewing an add-on, but probably deemed it caused too much confusion. Imagine this scenario which could happen more often than not: you travel to the US with a bundle add-on. You exceed your usage, but Koodo is not made aware of it by the roaming carrier until some time later (lets say 1 week). By that time, you have already returned to Canada. If Koodo were to notify you the moment they are aware that you have exceeded your add-on, you would receive a text indicating that your add-on has been exhausted and that another add-on has been renewed. How confusing would that be to the customer who is already back in Canada getting a notification about a US roaming bundle when they are not even roaming at the time? I'd imagine the customer call centre receiving a deluge of calls from mystified clients.
kolavak wrote:

@tyler c - Excellent point about monitor apps, but do you have apps that also monitor minu...

I still think you're missing the point a bit. It would be more than satisfactory if Koodo just stated "no notification of the automatic purchase of additional roaming add-ons will be given", as@chris also suggested. That way, in advance of my travels and when/if I decide to buy any roaming add-ons, I would know for sure that Koodo won't be able to help me gauge when and how much I'm using.
Userlevel 2
kolavak wrote:

But I did say so, from my original reply above: "Nonetheless, I think it is reasonable to state that no notification will be sent..."
Userlevel 2
kolavak wrote:

If it doesn't state that no notification will be sent, it's logical to think that you won't receive a notification.
kolavak wrote:

40 min, 400 text and 40 mb is not alot, and you can set your phone up to stop using data once it reaches the limit you set. It is under the data settings
Userlevel 2
Why don't you monitor it yourself? It's easy to jot down how many minutes you've used or how many text messages you've sent out.
Userlevel 5
Myke wrote:

Why don't you monitor it yourself? It's easy to jot down how many minutes you've used or how many...

And to add to this most phones have a data counter, you just need to reset it so it starts counting when you want it to.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@Kolavak You make a very valid point! Thanks for sharing it with us. I will have our folks adjust the copy on our website to be very clear. The rep you spoke to was incorrect about how long it takes to get info from the US carrier relayed to us. It is certainly not months. However, it is not yet real time either and that's part of the issue why we can't yet technically do what you suggest. that is to trigger a second text when you used up the bundle. Sometimes even I'm baffled, that we can put a man on the moon but not quite figure out things like this. Technology is complicated more than I'd like to see it. Thanks for your feedback!
Bernard wrote:

@Kolavak You make a very valid point! Thanks for sharing it with us. I will have our folks...

Thank you so much for addressing my concern!
Bernard wrote:

@Kolavak You make a very valid point! Thanks for sharing it with us. I will have our folks...

I've worked on cellphone user/security policy software in use by the likes of Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, etc. and it doesn't surprise me at all that propagation of billing data is not real-time. There is just so much going on under the hood and with so many different parts of the provider's networks (possibly multiple providers in a single user session depending on what exactly is done) that gathering all this in real-time is still not a reality. I am usually tempted to call BS when I'm told I can't disable something like call waiting on a per-user basis, because any of the policy enforcement software that is out there should handle per-user overrides, but I suspect providers just don't want this degree of bother (not a technical limitation!).
Userlevel 5
Hey Kolavak, On the Add-On page, it's now clear that customers won't be a text message when a new bucket is added. Check it out here: https://shop.koodomobile.com/plans/add-ons/index.html Thanks for the idea! CEO badge on the way 🙂 ~Sumaya
Thank you, Sumaya, for following up with me and making that detail known for everyone. Cheers! K