Koodo Community
Solved

Boosters and Easy Roaming! I would just like to speak with a rep

My grandpa is traveling in the United States. He added on a talk booster so he could call if he needed to; to Canada or in the United States. Now his phone is telling him he may have roaming charges? The rep in the store he spoke with said he would be fine to call in the States with his talk booster and zero extra charges. So he doesn’t need a data or text booster, just wants to be able to call if he needs too. Why is he getting roaming charging if he already paid and has the booster?!
icon

Best answer by snicket14 3 February 2019, 22:46

Great, Thank you everyone, very helpful!

View original

7 replies

If he is with prepaid there is no way he can incur roaming charges. You pay in advance for the boosters and if they get used up the phone just won't work, so you can't get any surprise charges with prepaid. It's probably just the standard message from Koodo when the phone is roaming.
Yes he is prepaid
snicket14 wrote:

Yes he is prepaid

He will be fine then. With prepaid everything is paid for in advance. You don't get a bill or be charged for something afterwards.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If he has added the US talk booster, he won't incur any additional charges. He can call until the booster is used up, then he'll need to buy another booster - whatever is left when he travels back to Canada, he can use on the next trip!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I spend lots of time in the US during the winter. You will be fine following Mats and Sophia's advice. From time to time, you may get a message reminding you that roaming charges may apply, especially if you are in a border area. Make sure you have US roaming boosters in your account for what you want to do (call, text or data) as well as a long-distance booster if you expect to receive calls seamlessly from the US when you are back in Canada.

When you dial *611, make sure you choose the prepaid option. Post-paid folks will just confuse you.

Dirty little secret: Koodo prepaid is actually one of the cheapest ways to get US & Can service if your needs are modest. $200 in boosters and $15 a month to maintain the account keep me happy all year round.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

. $200 in boosters and $15 a month to maintain the account keep me happy all year round.

Not shovelling snow keeps me happy!

Different strokes....
😀
Great, Thank you everyone, very helpful!