Koodo Community

Community

Billed for Usage while using WIFI

Billed for Usage while using WIFI! Issue with my billing. I traveled to Turks and Caicos Islands. I received a welcome text from Koodo. During that time, I only used my phone for texting when I was connected to WiFi. But on my return I was billed for 22 Roaming Text Message. PLUS another issue - at airports during my travels - I connected to the WiFi - yet I have been billed for US Data Roaming Charges plus a phone call - which I do not recall making. An interesting thing is on my iPhone - all text messages I had during my stay in Turks and Caicos are GONE! There is the welcome message from Koodo and then no messages until I returned. What is up with that? And so I cannot trace how many text messages I actually had or review that scenario. Trying to investigate why I was charged for any of this; and why the texts have disappeared!  PS - I also had Cellular Date turned OFF

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Are you 100% that you had data turned on from the point you crossed the border until you came back and that you or no one with access to your phone may have turned it on? Check page 3 of your ebill and also check the usage charts. Double check that the roaming charges came from when you were on vacation and not from another day or a charge for something else. Under usage for text messages you can see who texted you and what hour they did. This is extremely accurate so there will be no need to "double check".
Allan wrote:

Are you 100% that you had data turned on from the point you crossed the border until you came bac...

Yes turned off data - no one else uses my device.  Hmm ... will try to locate those items on my bill.  All I could see was the final detail - no individualized items.
Allan wrote:

Are you 100% that you had data turned on from the point you crossed the border until you came bac...

Just checked my bill and found all texts - yes called International Text Message and Roaming Text  - so I was "ignorant" of how it works - thought I was "safe" with WiFi!  Live and learn.  🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you sent Texts (SMS) rather than iMessages, you would be billed for each text sent, as they use the local carrier network to be sent, not Wi-fi. You phone record should show any calls made or received. If you did not have data roaming turned off, it is possible you had some data consumption while switching from flight mode in the airport.

I cannot explain why your texts do not show in your messages App. They should all be present.

David wrote:

If you sent Texts (SMS) rather than iMessages, you would be billed for each text sent, as they us...

OH!  Did not know that SMS messages were not WiFi eligible!  I think this is first time it happened for me.  Yes, I guess it is possible for data consumption while switching from flight to airport WiFi

David wrote:

If you sent Texts (SMS) rather than iMessages, you would be billed for each text sent, as they us...

Just checked my bill and found all texts - yes called International Text Message and Roaming Text  - so I was "ignorant" of how it works - thought I was "safe" with WiFi!  Live and learn.  🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
David wrote:

Your iMessages app will use Wi-fi, but of course you will not receive your messages in timely fashion; they will come in a bunch as soon as you connect to Wi-fi. If this works for you, as it (mostly) does for me, then using the resort Wi-fi is fine. If you need more frequent access to your messages, then either a switch to SMS or purchase of a data package would be needed.  Email, of course works over Wi-fi without question.

Also, picture messages would consume data.
The Service providers love how the phones require so much data now. A short paragraph on the first page of your "agreement" makes the customer liable for any data overages, and without a practicable way for an average consumer to verify claims of data usage , the service providers make great positive growth for the Stock holders. The service that is provided is the service of making money, not cellular network service. Data transfer is way cheaper than voice transfer, but the consumer can't prove it very easily, if at all.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
L Mike Hubenig wrote:

The Service providers love how the phones require so much data now. A short paragraph on the fi...

As a shareholder though CPP, I am quite happy that the cell companies are beholden to their shareholders.

There are tools both on the phone, and within your account do determine the amount of data used.

L Mike Hubenig wrote:

The Service providers love how the phones require so much data now. A short paragraph on the fi...

The tools I've had experience with don't give a clear picture of the multiple data streams a phone uses. Or an abilty to limit data on an App by App basis. It should be more simple for a consumer/ CPP contributor to protect themselves from these unverifiable charges. Any detail of data usage says "mobile browser " is the app that used for any data transmission. No locations of where the data was transferred. When an non user requested 15 gig mobile data transfer happens in the middle of the night, while hooked to a wifi network and you can't trace its origins but are still liable for paying for the overages, what can be done?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
L Mike Hubenig wrote:

Enter the settings on your phone, and choose to allow updates only by Wi-if, and /or limit each application to Wi-fi only. I do this on my phone when travelling internationally, so I don't get data surprises when out of Canada. If in need a particular app, I will turn it on before allowing the roaming. BTW, most phones turn off the Wi-fi radio when left sleeping for a while, to conserve battery. Remember, your device is a phone first, and a computer second.
L Mike Hubenig wrote:

Yes I should buy some shares!  🙂 May as well get paid instead of paying!  

I have switched everything now to the WiFi only settings.