Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Bill Surchange - Data Cap Law

Howdy!

Hope you are doing well today, 

I just had a looked at my bill from last month, and the number is much larger than i expected. I am very well aware that we went over our data plan (i have 2 lines under my account), although this number seems quite large. 

I am aware of that there is a law at hand preventing surprises such as this to happen. 
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/info_sht/t14.htm

Normally I wouldn't insist, but I might have to cut my services completely if we don't find an optimal solution. 

Thank you so much for your time!

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You would have received a text message indicating you are over your data limit by $50 and you would only have been able to continue using data if you responded to that text message as stated in the law you linked. This would be subject to each individual line as well.
I may have received those text, but I am certain I did not reply to them. 

But as previously mentioned, if there's nothing that can be done i'll have to cancel my phone line. 

How should I proceed with that? Via phone / email ?

Cheers,
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mitsuko Sato wrote:

But as previousl...

You can call customer service and talk to them but the only way that it's at all possible is if you replied to that text it will not let you keep consuming data unless you reply to that text it's impossible the system will not allow it. Give customer service a call and see what they say if you wish.
Mitsuko Sato wrote:

But as previousl...

Thanks for your help, although i am positive I didn't reply to those texts. 

The number is 1-866-995-6636 correct?

Cheers,
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mitsuko Sato wrote:

But as previousl...

Yes that's the correct # or you can call from your Koodo Mobile phone by dialing *611
Mitsuko Sato wrote:

But as previousl...

I'm going to side with Mitsuko on this.  I was advised I was at 50% and then I was advised I had racked up $10 in surcharges.   I've never responded and they never told me I was going over until I had used well over 100MB of service.  This is in direct violation of the new law cited above.

It's too bad because up to now, I've had great service with Koodo.
Userlevel 5
Mitsuko Sato wrote:

But as previousl...

My understanding of the CRTC is that they require companies to block overage once the customer hits $50 of overage. So anything under $50 is fine and wouldn't get blocked.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mitsuko Sato wrote:

But as previousl...

Indeed. From http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/info_sht/t14.htm : 3. Cap on data overage charges A service provider must suspend data overage charges [b]once they reach $50 within a single monthly billing cycle, unless the customer expressly consents to pay additional charges. A service provider must provide this cap at no charge.