Koodo Community

Community

Solved

automatic top up and balance

balance is 0 but with automatic top up, my account expired by Koodo and all my un-used minutes and data usage are gone. I wonder how it'd happen? Isn't automatic top up will allow charge from my registered credit card no matter how much balance I have?

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
There are two things here, Oasis Huang, one if you add auto top up AFTER your base plan expires, you need to top up manually once to "trigger" the system into renewing.

Second, you said your account expired and your minutes/data are gone - when did you last use your phone? You have 90 days to renew your base plan after it expires, so if you can still log into self service and access your account, all you need to do is top up manually to reactivate your account. 

After that, auto top up will make sure your account stays active from then on 🙂
Sophia wrote:

There are two things here, Oasis Huang, one if you add auto top up AFTER your base plan expires, ...

Thank you for your reply. But I have my automatic top up set up ready since I started using Koodo and the base plan expired suddenly after few months of using. At that time, I thought it is because my balance is less than 15 so I did what you said.. renew my base plan manually. After reading the similar questions from this forum, I realized it is not true, the automatic top up system should protect me from base plan expires no matter how much left in my balance. right?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

There are two things here, Oasis Huang, one if you add auto top up AFTER your base plan expires, ...

Yes, that is true... as long as the amount of your auto top up is the same as your base plan (probably $15).

Does your base plan mention expired in self service, and has it been less than one day? If that is the case, this is a bug in the system... your plan should renew all the same and it should mention "active" again tomorrow.

Can you post a screenshot of your first page of self service, with your personal information blacked out? It might be possible to see what's going on from there...
Sophia wrote:

Hi Sophia, thanks for your follow up. Just like you said, my account was expired and then went back to active. It all goes back to normal now except that I lost data usage and call minutes, which happened a few months ago. I'm not sure what you can do for me to get them back though. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

Hmm, boosters should never expire... so when you say you lost data and minutes, how exactly do you mean? 
Userlevel 6
Sophia wrote:

Hey Oasis! Confirming that the data and talk boosters on your account that you previously purchased are still there.
Sophia wrote:

I just activated my prepaid for my parents. I chose a base plan of $15 and a booster of 10$ talk. I selected auto top-up of $5. Will that charge my account a total of $30 a month? Or will it only charge the $5 if i use all my minutes?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

Your auto top up will only be used to renew your base plan.. never for boosters. Your minutes are valid until you use them all, next time get the $25 talk booster for the best value 🙂
I just activated a prepaid for my dad. I chose a base plan of $15 and a booster of $5 talk, which I selected to auto top-off. I'm still not sure what I'm going to be charged every month. Is it $20?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Meg Wheeler wrote:

I just activated a prepaid for my dad. I chose a base plan of $15 and a booster of $5 talk, which...

Expect $15 to be drawn each month. The talk booster continues until consumed. Purchasing the $25 booster as Sophia suggested is the bargain choice, as the minutes remain available until consumed.

Meg Wheeler wrote:

I just activated a prepaid for my dad. I chose a base plan of $15 and a booster of $5 talk, which...

Thanks for the answer. So you mean the $5 talk booster, which gets him 25 anytime minutes, will roll over if he doesn't use them up in 30 days? What's the point in the extra $5 auto top up once a month, then? Thanks for your help!
New here! Is there any use of balance money if I'm [b]registered for automatic top-ups? Is it the balance money that is used for boosters?[b]
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hannah Smith wrote:

New here! Is there any use of balance money if I'm [b]registered for automatic top-ups? ...

Yes, you can use the balance to buy boosters, or temporarily lower your auto top up amount until it's used up... whichever you prefer.