Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Are iMessages counted as texts in a long distance package

18 replies

My question was are iMessages counted as texts in my international plan
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
No. They do not. They do require data, however, either wifi or cellular.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hello Tina.

If you're in Canada, they are free and count as data.
If you're travelling, they count as data roaming and do not count as texts. They use data to send, so that's why they don't count as SMS.

Happy travels.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Using data abroad can result in very high bills. So be careful with that. Just a heads up.
I just found out that Koodo considers iMessages the same as texting abroad.  My daughter only used wifi to communicate (at the hotels) and communicated via iMessage and we just got dinged HUGE for "roaming text msg".  She was using the hotel wifi (all the stuff connected to Koodo was turned off) to communicate and it was considered texting.  Lesson learned!  Thought iMessage wasn't the same as texting.
Userlevel 3
NatashaM wrote:

I just found out that Koodo considers iMessages the same as texting abroad.  My daughter onl...

Koodo cannot consider iMessages as texting because iMessage works with data, and Koodo cannot interfere with it. All they can see is there is encrypted data going through if you are using cellular data at that moment. However, iMessage is not fail-safe. Read below.

Not everyone has iMessage. Some people don't have Apple devices, and some who have Apple devices don't enable iMessage. When messaging those people, the phone will send a regular text message.

Even when messaging those who have iMessage, if for some reason the message isn't delivered in a timely manner, the phone will send an SMS if Send as SMS option is enabled in Settings > Messages.

So, to prevent roaming text message charges: make sure you are using iMessage, i.e. you see blue bubbles and send button, not green, and disable Send as SMS in Settings > Messages,
or remove the SIM card,
or enable Airplane Mode, and then enable Wi-Fi.
NatashaM wrote:

I just found out that Koodo considers iMessages the same as texting abroad.  My daughter onl...

Thank you for replying!  In fact, it was iMessage as she was using her Apple phone to communicate with us (both Apples users) and it was definitely iMessaging!  Koodo has stated to me (Chris today from Koodo when I spoke to him) that Koodo says they are the same as they use the network!  We have all the communication from her and it's mainly iMessage.  We do have a few text, but well beneath the bundle limit that we had bought for her trip.  So what now?  How do I get anyone to review my bill as I believe we've been completely overcharged here?  How do I prove the iMessaging?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
NatashaM wrote:

What does the PDF bill downloaded from self-serve state? It should list in fine detail the expenses billed. You can check her phone, and if the messages show as green bubbles, then they were SMS, if blue, iMessage. If she has deleted them, then there is no opportunity to provide proof of message origin. 

If she sent any picture messages other than by iMessage, data may have been consumed, adding to the bill.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
NatashaM wrote:

Having previously worked for koodo tech support, I can confirm that iMessages do not even appear in koodo's system.
NatashaM wrote:

The bill doesn't even have the bundle purchased.  Unfortunately, she has deleted the string but she knew the difference between iMessage and text (she's the only that explained the colour boxes to me! lol)  The only place on my bill that I got 'dinged' is "Roaming Txt Msg sent' and we had made sure her phone had everything turned off and told her to treat her phone like her iPod where you only used the hotel's wifi.

My husband and I still have the entire thread of the messages sent.  Does that help me at all?

Now what? 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
NatashaM wrote:

You having the messages you received does not show what she may have sent others. The PDF bill should show more than simply "Roaming Txt Msg Sent". Are there no more details on the destination of the texts?
NatashaM wrote:

Nope, just the massive charge for the 'roaming txt msg sent' - as copied from my bill:
May 07, 2017
Mobile services (continued)
US / Int'l Phone
$0.00
Total used 4:00 (MIN)
Text Msg - Sent
$0.00
Total used 659 (Msg)
CAN to US Text Msg - Sent
$0.00
Total used 2 (Msg)
Text Msg - Received
$0.00
Total used 444 (Msg)
Data Usage
$0.00
Total used 58.860 (MB)
International GPRS Data Roaming
$0.00
Total used 50.000 (MB)
Roaming Txt Msg - Sent
$217.80
Total used 412 (Msg)
Roaming Txt Msg - Received
$0.00
Total used 322 (Msg)
Local Airtime - Phone (minutes)
$0.00
Included 18:00 (MIN)
Free 16:00 (MIN)
Total used 34:00 (MIN)
Total usage charges
$217.80

I've request a copy of the messages sent during that time frame and just had a email that I'd have to call for that information AND it was also confirmed in writing that YES "iMessages count also as text messages."  So anyone traveling out of country and thinking they can communicate using iMessage will incur massive costs!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
NatashaM wrote:

You can check "Current cycle", "Previous cycle" and "2 months ago". It's showing which number she sent/receive on what days.

I have a friend who has iPhone and if I used iMessage to her, it seems doesn't show on my self serve as "Texts/Message/SMS Usage".

She must send "Texts" to some friends(non iPhone user) too.
Userlevel 3
NatashaM wrote:

You were given false information. Koodo doesn't train their reps properly. Koodo has no idea what you are doing when you send an iMessage over Wi-Fi. Over cellular data, they probably see connections to Apple servers, but they still can't really figure out what you are doing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
NatashaM wrote:

The Koodo International $40 travel package includes 50 Minutes of talk, 50MB of data and 50 outgoing texts. The note you placed above indicates she used 4 minutes of talk, all 50 MB of data, all 50 texts, plus 363 additional text messages (363 * $0.60 = $217.80). It is possible that once she ran out of data, the messages were sent as texts, rather than by data, but it is clear that your daughter was using her phone a lot while not connected to hotel Wi-Fi.

It was very nice of Koodo to waive that overage on your behalf, but you may wish to have a chat with your daughter.
NatashaM wrote:

I'm still trying to obtain the text info so I can review everything with her!
UPDATE:  After speaking to a supervisor.. he confirmed that iMessages ARE NOT THE SAME AS TEXTS and that the customer care department is going to make sure their reps are informed as such.  The supervisor has also fixed the problem with my bill.
Thank you to everyone who tried to help out!  Very much appreciated!