Koodo Community

Apple CarPlay stops working

I bought a car last June that supports Apple CarPlay, and it works great most of the time but sometimes it just won’t connect until I restart my phone. It’s so irritating! It also sometimes disconnects while I’m using it and I have to unplug the phone and plug it back in. Or the sound gets all scratchy. First I thought it was the car’s system having the issue, but we can never recreate the issue with any other phone, and it seems fishy that when I restart my phone it works again.

Any idea what to do about this? It’s the iPhone SE I think? The cheap one they came out with last spring. 

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

My phone connects without issue most of the time, and I can never recreate the issue with another phone. When mine doesn’t connect I restart it and it’s fine. My OS is up to date. I usually don’t have another phone with me to test it when mine won’t connect at all, but I’m almost positive it’s something to do with the phone, not the car.

When it is sporadic like this it is really hard to diagnose.

When you say most of the time, how often is that? Like doe it work 9 times out of 10?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Okay so obviously I looked into and tried all the obvious things before coming here. None of that is actually helpful. 

Basically if you’ve had this issue and managed to fix it somehow, I’d like to know how. I’m not interested in random “maybe this will work” suggestions. I’ve tried them all. Thanks for coming out but I need someone to weigh in who’s actually fixed this problem.

Firstly, your issue is the problem of a connection between a Apple iPhone and a car. None of which has Koodo system in it. We are all here just try our best to help. 

Secondly, if you spend some of your time searching into Apple forum, your issue is not uncommon. People there is also saying “may be”… Anyway, hopefully you will find a solution that works for all cases like this. 

Okay so obviously I looked into and tried all the obvious things before coming here. None of that is actually helpful. 

Basically if you’ve had this issue and managed to fix it somehow, I’d like to know how. I’m not interested in random “maybe this will work” suggestions. I’ve tried them all. Thanks for coming out but I need someone to weigh in who’s actually fixed this problem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I would suggest you try a different cable to connect the iPhone to your car and see if the cable was the problem.

Also, you could try to reset network settings of the iPhone and make the iPhone to reconnect to the car as a new device.

There are also some tips from this webpage, https://www.ikream.com/carplay-that-is-not-working-on-iphone-xr-32063 Hopefully it helps.

Oh and as far as I know CarPlay can only be used via usb, not bluetooth. The car will connect to the phone via bluetooth but that’s different from CarPlay.

My phone connects without issue most of the time, and I can never recreate the issue with another phone. When mine doesn’t connect I restart it and it’s fine. My OS is up to date. I usually don’t have another phone with me to test it when mine won’t connect at all, but I’m almost positive it’s something to do with the phone, not the car.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If the problem persists, contact your car manufacturer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Is your OS up to date? 

Is another iPhone able to connect to Apple carplay without issue? 

Are your connecting with USB or Bluetooth?