Community

Solved

Any yearly plans?

Do u have any yearly plans ?

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Nope.  All plans work monthly.

Is there something you are looking for that requires a yearly plan?
Like roll over data?
Prepaid is every 30 days but it may have some "yearly functions" that you might be interested in
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You could check out public mobile they have 3 month plans that you pay all 3 months at once which brings down the price of the plans. They run on the same network as Koodo / Telus / Bell so no worries about reception reliability if any of those work for you.
Userlevel 7
Yearly plans wouldn't work for postpaid because it's a big liability to expect someone to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars for a service after the fact, let alone trying to calculate overages, changing your plan, Tab balance, etc. For prepaid, imagine how expensive that would be to upfront that amount? Depending on what your needs are, it could be hundreds or thousands as well. People's cellular needs can change over time, so prepaying that far ahead would also cause headaches.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

Yearly plans wouldn't work for postpaid because it's a big liability to expect someone to pay hun...

Annual prepaid from Telus = $100; from 7-eleven = $25. For someone wanting a phone for emergency or safety reasons these low cost, long term plans can meet their needs.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

Yearly plans wouldn't work for postpaid because it's a big liability to expect someone to pay hun...

He is probably talking about yearly prepaid plans like some carriers offer, like dfbutt mentioned.
Userlevel 7
Jonathan I wrote:

Yes that's true, but it's severely limited in calling. In fact, I got a $100 1 year plan for 100 mins. on Rogers prepaid for my mom and she used it all up in a few months. It might still work for her; she was in the hospital for a while and used them up to call people so it did the job I guess.
Jonathan I wrote:

Telus has just advisd me they are discontinuing the $100.00 / year (400 texts, 400 minutes). They are going to $10.00/mo. So I'm looking for a prvider to get  the hundred bucks a year again. I hardly use the phone so it doesn't pay to have a monthly plan. Also why does Canada have the most expensive celular in the world?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

The Telus plan becomes $120 for 600 minutes/ 600 texts, admittedly in 50 unit aliquots . A fee of $10 /month is still pretty cheap for cell connectivity in Canada. Koodo is a minimum of $15 plus boosters.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

To answer you question, large geography, small population, lack of competition, and shareholder expectations of continued high profits
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

Large geography and small population is a red herring.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

Late to the party here, but I was able to confirm with some friends on the TELUS side that the $100/year plan has not in fact been discontinued. 

@allanpen - curious to know where you heard this/why you thought this? I see you mentioned that TELUS advised you, but was that perhaps misinformation from a rep, did you get an email, something else? Let us know, as we'd like to get to the bottom of this.
Jonathan I wrote:

It came by text to my phone from Telus. I forget the exact wording other than a date in August (18th I think) they would be discontinuing my $100.00/year and auto charging me $10.00/month.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

Do you still have the text?  Can you post a screen shot (minus any personal info)
Jonathan I wrote:

Here is the original text:
TELUS Update: Prepaid pay-per-use will be changing as of August 26, 2018 and all subscribers now require a minimum $10 rate plan. As a valued customer, you'll automatically be enrolled in an exclusive $10/month rate plan on this date, which includes 500 local anytime mins along with 100 msgs. Note: extra usage will be charged at pay-per use rates of $0.60/min and $0.50/msg. 

If you prefer to choose a different rate plan, please log in to telus.com/mytelus or call #123. If you switch to an in-market rate plan, you won't be able to get this exclusive rate plan back. For more details on the upcoming change, please visit http://tl.jumptxt.com/t1j0qzMDy

Followed today with the following:

TELUS Apology: Between July 24-26, 2018, we sent you an SMS msg in error, notifying you of upcoming Prepaid pay-per-use changes. The message mistakenly indicated that you were going to be automatically enrolled in a new rate plan. Please disregard that msg and rest assured that your current Prepaid rate plan will remain as is, with no changes. We're sorry for any confusion this may have caused. If you have any questions, please call #123. Free TELUS msg.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

Thanks for sharing the update.

There was also this $3 plan info sent to some.
I have my wife with Virgin for a hundred a year. She has around $500.00 built up through the years; doesn't use the phone. It's there for emergencies is all. She would have more built up, but I missed the renewal date a couple of times. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
allanpen wrote:

I have my wife with Virgin for a hundred a year. She has around $500.00 built up through the year...

You are aware that any cellphone can dial 911 still, even if they are not activated.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
allanpen wrote:

I have my wife with Virgin for a hundred a year. She has around $500.00 built up through the year...

allanpen likely means ‘flat tire’ type of emergency,@Dennis.
allanpen wrote:

That is correct David or for some inexplicable reason she want to communicate with her husband (hasn't happened yet). 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
allanpen wrote:

or for some inexplicable reason she want to communicate with her husband (hasn't happened yet). 

I'm certain you are not unique........