Koodo Community

Community

Affordable Iphone plans!

Make a plan similar to the blackberry social (unlimited social networking) for iphones! Data is WAYY too expensive!

13 replies

Userlevel 7
It's not as simple as that with Android and iOS
Blackberry social was a specific add-on because of how the old Blackberries ran on mobile data. It's not possible to do this with Iphone because data works exactly the same as it does with Android. Blackberry Data services(on old BBs) ran through RIMs services which allowed RIm to control what data could and couldn't be accessed.
I'm sure with the technology of 2013, they can come up with something/anything so that I don't have to spend over $60, just to have 1 gig of data. I'm not the only student on the planet that wants an Iphone, but cannot afford it because of the high cost of data.
Userlevel 1
Hi Jenna! In my humble thinking, it won't be possible to do it on Iphone, it was possible to do it with old Blackberries because it was running on RIM servers that can restrict Internet only to Fcebook/Twitter/BBM/Windows Live apps only using BB APN. (bb.koodo.com). Iphone is using Koodo APN (sp.koodo.com) meaning Internet gateway will not be restricted to other apps including Safari browser.
Userlevel 7
Then get it on Tab or buy one outright from someone for cheaper and put it on a Tab plan. The 3 year iPhone plans aren't very good. They're only there out of necessary. If you're going to do a 3 year, you may as well go Rogers/Bell/Telus... Koodo's biggest shpeal is "no contracts" so why would you do a contract with them? Doesn't make sense to me.
Jonathan I wrote:

Then get it on Tab or buy one outright from someone for cheaper and put it on a Tab plan. The 3 y...

I have done my fair share of looking on Koodo tab. Just to get one gig of data (which I use far more than 1 gig on my blackberry) plus unlimited texting it is about $60 a month. That is about $20 more a month than I pay noe for less stuff.
Userlevel 7
Jonathan I wrote:

Then get it on Tab or buy one outright from someone for cheaper and put it on a Tab plan. The 3 y...

Honestly if you're a big text + data user and don't call much, go on either the $20 or $25 Talk + Text and go with the pay per use data rates - 3GB is $30
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The iPhone-only plans are never going to be a good deal and there is nothing that Koodo can do about that. Apple will not allow carriers to heavily subsidize the iPhone and give cheap plans on top. Every carrier wants to be able to offer the iPhone but to do so they have to fully submit to Apple's demands. It sucks, but that's the way things are. 1. The only ways to choose an iPhone and not overpay on your monthly bill: Buy the iPhone outright from Apple (unlocked) or from your carrier (with Koodo, you can use the tab to partially offset the cost). 2. Buy a used iPhone (unlocked or Koodo/Telus off Kijiji or similar marketplace). With either option you are free to choose whatever plan you desire. We are paying too much for not enough in Canada, but this is a rare instance where I can defend a carrier's high monthly rate.
Userlevel 5
Ivan wrote:

The iPhone-only plans are never going to be a good deal and there is nothing that Koodo can do ab...

Simple Solution: Get the iPhone on the tab and choose any plan you want! 😮
It really doesn't matter what phone I get or talk about here. All my point is, is that data is way to expensive. If there was an unlimited data with a tab, it would be different. I don't want to have to limit myself on using my own phone in fear that I might go over my 1 gig and end up having to pay a million dollars for the data.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jenna Hotham wrote:

It really doesn't matter what phone I get or talk about here. All my point is, is that data is wa...

I'm with you, unfortunately, unlimited data is a utopia with any provider (unless they sc**w you in another way, such as throttling after the first few GBs).
Jenna Hotham wrote:

It really doesn't matter what phone I get or talk about here. All my point is, is that data is wa...

the data isn't that expensive though with Koodo. I've looked at other providers and Koodo offers way more for the money you buy. I have the $60 Canada-Wide plan and with the double-your-data that's being offered AGAIN that gives you unlimited minutes and 2GB of data. Plus it's only $5 for every 500mb that you go over. That's a great deal compared to other carriers in Canada. So if you want an iPhone, heed the advice from everyone else: buy used or buy refurbished from a dealer like factorydirect.ca or tigerdirect.ca or whoever else is selling refurbs, buy second hand from someone on kijiji, or purchase it on your tab. 🙂 And then the plans you can get from Koodo offer tons of flexibility that way. Trust me, you get way more with Koodo. No one offers unlimited data at a reasonable cheap price with all the other goodies that comes with going with Koodo, not as far as I know.
Jenna Hotham wrote:

And also, I believe you said you go to school... I mean, there is a thing called wifi. I know when I went to school they provided wifi access and so do businesses like Tim Hortons and McDonalds... and you probably have wifi at your home. So just make sure you're logged into wifi networks in public places that have it or at home and save on data that way too!