Koodo Community

Community

Solved

activate iPhone 3gs

enough about the iphone5 MY 3gs was jailbroken and i was having probs with it so i says to myself, i'll just update from my 4.1 firmware to 6.1.3 Well it froze it wasn't reconized by itunes etc... finally using another laptop it reconized my 3gs and it said it was retoring 6.1.3 firmware. i said great but now when starts it goes to a grey page says iphone. i slide the slider over to next page to language, to next page country, next page to default WI-FI, to next page that says activating your phone. stays there quite awhile then says could not activate iphone and i can't go any further . i try it with sim card in and with it out. Is the iphone finished?

34 replies

When you update a jailbroken Iphone, it will relock itself to it's original provider. It's always better to get it network unlocked than jailbreaking it. You may want to look into getting it network unlocked.
MarioB wrote:

When you update a jailbroken Iphone, it will relock itself to it's original provider. It's always...

My previous phone was an iPhone & when I did a system restore,it stayed unlocked as I was told the same thing but it worked for me
Userlevel 5
Mario has the right answer here. By updating or by restoring the phone you essentially remove the jail break. Thus your 3Gs is now locked to the original provider. You need to either re-jailbreak or look in getting an actual unlock done for your phone.
how can i unlock a phone. Will a jailbreak unlock it too? Thanks
Userlevel 5
neil delorey wrote:

There's two ways to unlock the iPhone. The official way requires you to know what network the phone was originally locked to. Then visit a website such as http://ottawapc.net/unlock-iphone/ and pay them to do the unlock of your phone. Alternatively you can rejailbreak your phone (not 100% sure if a jailbreak even exists for 6.1.3), and then you need to unlock the phone after that. If you're not sure how to do this yourself your best bet is to find a local business in a mall or something that offers this service.
neil delorey wrote:

unfortunately the best option as others have said is to have an actual carrier unlock done to the phone. these can be purchased through many companies online and offline < koodo is even authorized by apple to do it > the fee ranges from 19.99 to 100$ depending on which company unlocks it, and which carrier it was originally locked to. you can try re-jail breaking and unlocking, but unless you remembered to preserve your baseband settings when updating the phone, this will most likely be impossible at this point in time.
neil delorey wrote:

You do realize that this thread is over a month old and has had no activity since then, right?
Jailbreaking will unlock the phone illegally. It's not a full network unlock. When you update a jailbroken phone, it will relock itself to it's original provider. It's best if you contact the original provider and get it unlocked that way.
well i jail broke the 3gs 6.1.3 installed ultra snow works great except it keeps searching... to no service Just bought the sim card and the guy at the Koodo kios said reboot when i get home and i did with and without sim in it but still searching.. called koodo support twice today but computers down all day. do you think they could help or it's something else? thanks
neil delorey wrote:

well i jail broke the 3gs 6.1.3 installed ultra snow works great except it keeps searchin...

the jailbreak that is currently available for 6.1.3 is a tethered jailbreak...untethered jailbreak is available only up to 6.1.2...that means for 6.1.3 you will lose your jailbreak as soon as you reboot your phone and for anything up to 6.1.2 you will not...that is why when you reboot after getting back home you lost the jailbreak and went back to square one.
Why don't you just get it network unlocked the proper way? That way you won't have any network issues such as these. It's possible that Koodo's network isn't accepting the device.
can i get it network unlocked even though it's jailbroke?
Userlevel 2
neil delorey wrote:

Doubtful.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
neil delorey wrote:

Yes you can, but in order for the unlock to take effect, you must result the phone via iTunes which will then remove the jailbreak.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You could unlock via jailbreak if you only preserve your base bands. If you did not do this when you updated to 6.1.3 then you are out of luck. Since the early versions of the iphone 4, there has not been a jailbreak unlock available. I know since I am still on my iphone 4 basebands. (@Jorden, yes there is a jailbreak for 6.1.3) Yes you can unlock the phone even though it is jailbroken. You just need to pay the unlock fee and Apple will know your phone is suppose to be unlocked. Unfortunately, you will have to update via itunes for the unlock to be updated onto the phone. This means you will lose your jailbreak when you unlock. Next you will have to jailbreak again.
wow lost again Apparently bell won't unlock their iphones( what i hear) so here's what i've done so far, i changed base band back from 6.15 to 5.13.04 I downgraded my ios firmware from 6.1.3 to ios 5.1.1. Jailbroke and untethered, installed ultrsnOw and mobile sultrate??????? Everything works great except, it goes, searching to no service. Is this what they call a brick?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
neil delorey wrote:

wow lost again Apparently bell won't unlock their iphones( what i hear) so here's what i've...

Nope. I think Your phone is just locked. Where did you get the phone from?
neil delorey wrote:

wow lost again Apparently bell won't unlock their iphones( what i hear) so here's what i've...

bell world
neil delorey wrote:

still have the original sim card but it expired a couple of years ago
Userlevel 1
neil delorey wrote:

Only Bell can unlock it or use unlocking sites on Net, search one on google.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
neil delorey wrote:

Lol... Bell world sounds like a theme park 😛 Hmm. For that baseband and that iOS you should be able to unlock with Ultrasn0w. I would suggest you use the instructions noted on iClarified.com Maybe be testing your sim card in another phone or another sim card in your phone to make sure the sim/koodo is not the issue
neil delorey wrote:

well took it to cell phone store and tryed a guys bell active sim card but still no service. so downgraded to the to what i think was the original firmware of 4.1. then jailbroke it and tryed to unlock it but repo666.ultrasn0w.com didn't have ultrasn0w in it. so added repo.iparelhos.com and all it had was ultrasnow fixer for 6.0.1 nad fixer 6.1. 1 or whatever. tryed the 6.0 but nothing just noservice again. so now i restored again back to original 4.1 and to activate iphone i had to put in my original bell sim. (even when i jailbroke the first attempt) only way to get past the first screen to activate iphone. but for the first time since i've been at this i see bell 8.0 in the carrier spot, before it always said not available. strange yes/no 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
neil delorey wrote:

That is strange. Try this repo: http://cydia.myrepospace.com/ultrasnOw/ But acording to this, ultrasn0w is continually to be worked on. http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/02/07/ultrasn0w-updated-for-ios-6-1/
neil delorey wrote:

something else i might note, before i go any further, the iphone works great when i using safarie, weather, GPS camera etc.. when i'm on Wi-Fi, but not that it affects anything after i dismiss it or it goes away if i don't touch anything but when ever i reboot my iphone a message pops up saying 'Waiting for activation, This may take some time". ???????? any thoughts
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
neil delorey wrote:

But does it activate after some time? If it does then chalk it up to an old phone. If it doesnt, then it sounds like an untethered unlock :S But there is not a lot of info about this due to the age of the phone and Ultrasn0w being ineffective on newer phones and basebands. Poor muscleNerd