Koodo Community

Community

Young children shouldn't have a cell phone

I don't think that kids under 16 years old should have a cell phone. I know a girl who is only 7 and has a cell phone, this is ridiculous.

40 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Whereas I agree with you to some extend 🙂 I am unclear what you expect Koodo (considering the business they are in) to do about it? 😃
How does this have to do with Koodo?
Marcus Fenix wrote:

Koodo is a mobile company isn't it?
Userlevel 4
Marcus Fenix wrote:

It is, but Koodo will never sell a phone to a minor. It is up to the child's parent(s) and/or guardian(s) to decide wether or not they get a phone. Nothing Koodo can do to stop that, unfortunately. Once a person reaches the age of 18, they have the legal right to decide wether or not they want to get a phone by themselves. That individual would then be legally responsible for all fees associated with the account.
Userlevel 1
“How does this have to do with Koodo?” Well it is under ideas and I've seen some stripped down and restricted cell phones meant for kids where they only get to call home (or receive calls from home). Would probably be nice to see Koodo offer a locked down “kiddy” phone with these kinds of restrictions and a monthly plan priced appropriately. My phone is a Motorola and has MotoBlur where you can just go to the web site , log into your Blur account and tell it to “Locate my phone”, that would be an awesome feature for them to offer also as minors who have a legal guardian really have no reasonable expectation of privacy as to their location, etc. I can see how such a “controlled” phone could be a very useful and lucrative offering and Koodo could even give the parents control over who the phone can call or who can call it.
Steve wrote:

“How does this have to do with Koodo?” Well it is under ideas and I've seen some stripped down...

That's not Koodo's goal. If such a phone can be unlocked and work on Koodo's network then it can be used on Koodo, but I don't think there's enough of a demand for such a phone to be sold by Koodo.
Userlevel 7
Steve wrote:

“How does this have to do with Koodo?” Well it is under ideas and I've seen some stripped down...

Most phones these days can be set with fixed dial numbers and protected with a password. Check it out under call settings FDN Even if a 7yr old has a S4, it's improbable that the child has full access to it (we should hope)
Userlevel 1
Steve wrote:

Someone gets the revenue from the 7 year old's phone plan, if they had a kid friendly plan then they get the revenue 🙂
Userlevel 7
Even the Z10 has this option. It only allows the phone to call those numbers you set. A password is required to edit them. @steve I don't understand your point. Koodo has a 20$ per month plan that's perfect for kids.

Userlevel 1
Chad Burr wrote:

Even the Z10 has this option. It only allows the phone to call those numbers you set. A password ...

Chad: Few people are going to buy a Z10 for their 7 year old. I just figured that if Koodo offered a really cheap phone (that had GPS tracking and maybe a fav 5 list the parents could control and offer other controls through self service), perhaps even with custom firmware (from the manufacturer) to make it a kiddy phone then they would have something the other carriers don’t offer. I’m not sure I agree with 7 year olds having cell phones but they are going to so the carrier (in the case Koodo) could offer the control and the price that would gain this market segment completely. It was only a “suggestion” 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

Even the Z10 has this option. It only allows the phone to call those numbers you set. A password ...

It doesn't have to be a Z10 you can buy Koodo's cheapest Android phone which is like $100 or so and with an app limit and track use to exactly what you want to do. So they already offer something that can be altered to be great for kids. I like others strongly am against kids having their own cellphone but it can be useful in certain instances if locked down to emergency type use.
Userlevel 2
Chad Burr wrote:

You need to buy an app? Android doesn't do any parental style controls natively?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

It does depending what phone you get but with an app you can track where your kid is and you can even set it so they can use the Internet but only certain websites and/or track what websites they are going to as well. Plus more depending what app you get.
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

Yeah not the point. Even lower end feature phones usually have the feature. My Optimus one had it, my old AT&T phone as well.
Userlevel 2
Chad Burr wrote:

Can you not track your phone natively with Android? Or does that also require an app?
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

It does require an app currently
Userlevel 1
Chad Burr wrote:

Actually, if Koodo were to offer a rugged waterproof phone like a Rugby or a Sonim or one of them kids phones (I don't remember the name), I am sure many parents might be interested in giving such a phone to their kids knowing it will survive a kids torture. What do y'all think ?
Userlevel 5
Chad Burr wrote:

Probably. If you know your kid isn't the safest, those devices would be perfect for them.
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

I just checked my Android, open phone, menu key, tap settings, fixed dialing is there on Cyanogenmod so im assuming it's a native feature. Can't imagine giving a kid a rooted s2 however.
If you don't like kids having cellphones, it seems to me there's a wonderful solution that'll solve your problem. Just don't give your kid a cellphone and voila, problem solved ! It doesn't have to be more complicated than that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Andre-Pierre Rossignol wrote:

If you don't like kids having cellphones, it seems to me there's a wonderful solution that'll sol...

Since that was exactly what Bonnie suggested, I assume this topic can be marked "implemented" 😃
Userlevel 2
Andre-Pierre Rossignol wrote:

If you don't like kids having cellphones, it seems to me there's a wonderful solution that'll sol...

Bonnie didn't actually suggest anything, she stated an opinion.
Userlevel 2
I have a friend who just got a cat. Everybody knows dogs are far superior. It's just so ridiculous. He should have known better.
Userlevel 7
mattjs wrote:

I have a friend who just got a cat. Everybody knows dogs are far superior. It's just so ridicul...

lol
Userlevel 7
I got my first phone when I was 17... my future kids are not getting one until around 14 at the earliest.