Koodo Community
Not planned

Super Tabs!

You may have already gotten this suggestion. Would it make sense to ave supper tabs like Virgin mobile for your phones like the Galaxy S II or the iPhone? Also, a praise, you new canada wide data plans are amazing! Such a great deal!

11 replies

Userlevel 1
Hey Drake ! Koodo is doing better than Virgin regarding Super Tabs, he lowers phone costs on old phones and still allow tabs, discount on old phones may go from 50 to 75$ like for iphone 4 on their web site: http://www.koodomobile.com click on phones and Iphone
Userlevel 1
I haven't a clue what badger just posted......it doesn't make sense. Here is my 2 cents worth. Having access to a supertab is an illusion that will come back and haunt you down the road. If you take a five hundred dollar tab and your bill is $50 a month and ten percent goes towards paying off the tab that means yo are gonna be a slave to virgin for over 8 years. That's how long it will take off to pay off that sucker.
Userlevel 1
RoryC wrote:

I haven't a clue what badger just posted......it doesn't make sense. Here is my 2 cents worth....

Then better get an Iphone 5 for ($180) or Iphone 4S for ($80) with 3 years term, I guess, this will sound fair.
RoryC wrote:

I haven't a clue what badger just posted......it doesn't make sense. Here is my 2 cents worth....

That's exactly what happened to my wife on Virgin! Even if you are on a big plan ($70+), it takes a very long time to pay off that huge tab! Better to go with Telus' device balance which pays back at roughly $15/month regardless of you plan amount.
Drake, a Super Tab is extacly like a contract. You use the entire amount, you decide 3 months down the road that you don't like the service and then leave. Now you are stuck paying a tab that's over $400. That's not consumer friendly, is it? Koodo has it right, capping the tab at -$150. What they should do is remove the positive cao as that will allow long standing customers to go beyond $150.
Userlevel 7
There is one benefit to the SuperTab. Virgin allows you to make payments towards it/reduce it without cancelling. So if you come across some extra cash for a month or something, you can put it against your phone. As far as I know, Koodo doesn't allow it, most likely because the Tab limit is so low at + or - 150. A $200 Tab sounds about right but anything much higher than that just becomes ridculous to pay off if you can't make "Tab payments".
Jonathan I wrote:

There is one benefit to the SuperTab. Virgin allows you to make payments towards it/reduce it wit...

That's interesting. I didn't know that about the Super Tab. I guess it doesn't really seem that bad since you can make payments towards it.
Actually, that makes a lot of sense.
The other thing with Virgin, is you can only get a $500 tab if you are going with a "Combo Plan" (voice and data starting at $53/month) and a $200 tab for the lower end talk and text plans. What I love about Koodo is that you pay the same amount in store for a phone whether you want the $20 plan or the $60 plan. It's less "fine-printy" and easier to calculate for the consumer. It also means that just because you don't want data doesn't mean you will pay a fortune for a nice phone in store!
Userlevel 6
Bean wrote:

The other thing with Virgin, is you can only get a $500 tab if you are going with a "Combo Plan" ...

Yeah, I hate Virgin's fine-print ... especially their "Unlimited Data" fine print!
The only way that I see Koodo offering anything like a "super tab" is if they stop having the tab decrease by 10% of your monthly plan. Right now, even if I were to buy a a $150 phone with a $30/month plan it would take 4 years to pay off. That's longer than any contract. If they implemented "super tabs" of even double that it would take 8 years to pay off. Who is going to want that?! The only way Koodo can afford to give bigger discounts is to increase the tab deduction percentage every month, or make it so that an arbitrary amount is deducted not based on your monthly plan. We really need to look to the European market where the phone price depends on how much you are willing to pay per month, but it always gets paid off in 2 years. A simple redistribution of the phone cost is all that is needed - which carrier will be the pioneers of the future?