Koodo Community
Proposed

Shock-Free LD minutes similar to Shock-Free Data

• 23 January 2019
  • 4 replies

I think it would be helpful if Koodo brings in LD addon minutes alert and stop LD outgoing once the included 1000 minutes addon has lapsed until the customer requests to continue. I am hoping it should work same as the current Shock-Free data we have, wherein we get alerts at 50%, 90%, 100% and no data after until you confirm.

Currently Koodo does not have any way to track the LD outgoing easily, because of which a friend of mine who recently switched to Koodo has gone way beyond his 1000 minutes LD minutes thus ending up in a whopping $227 as his monthly bill last month.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Wouldn't that be nice. Maybe the shock free version would happen. Many have proposed a minute counter but that has never been implemented. Here's hoping
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I think the reason for shock free data, overage limits on data, etc is due to the fact that data is a lot harder to track. How many MB does google map use for 1 trip, for 1 google search, for 1 email to arrive. For calling, minutes is much easier to measure. a 1 minute call to Canada is the same as a 1 min call to the US and can easily be seen on the call log of the phone app.

Shock Free Minutes will be something that Koodo will need to take the lead on. I doubt the CRTC will do anything about it.
I think the reason for shock free data, overage limits on data, etc is due to the fact that data is a lot harder to track. How many MB does google map use for 1 trip, for 1 google search, for 1 email to arrive. For calling, minutes is much easier to measure. a 1 minute call to Canada is the same as a 1 min call to the US and can easily be seen on the call log of the phone app.

Shock Free Minutes will be something that Koodo will need to take the lead on. I doubt the CRTC will do anything about it.

I beg to differ, in fact it's the data that is easier to track, set alerts and even limit it at the OS level, at least on the Android world. Android OS has option to monitor data usage easily, even separating the data between mobile and WiFi. You can get the overall outgoing/incoming minutes whereas there is no easy way to tell you how many international call minutes have you made. Hence this very post, I asked koodo on twitter and they suggested to post here.

I tried various apps before posting here none had the ability to give me what I want but I think I got one now. The app is called Data and Calls plan, it's simple, no ads and clean. It seems to give me international minutes and even set 3 alerts for varied % usage.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I do hope Koodo does Shock Free Minutes.

Glad you found an app too. I wonder if there is an iOS version of that app.