Koodo Community
Proposed

Reverse Extra Charges for Canada-wide Calling and International Texting

• 21 February 2021
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

From February 23 onwards, Koodo is going to change all of their plans to province-wide calling and Canada-wide texting. I find that to be taking a step backwards and I am really disappointed with the decision.

There has been many posts from different people that are let down by this move from Koodo: 

There was a time when Koodo was at the forefront of making progress within the Canadian mobile industry. They were the first ones to introduce monthly plans with Canada-wide calling and international texting and others followed suit. Now, after 10 years, Koodo is undoing what it did by moving back to province-wide calling and Canada-wide texting?

It wasn’t a long time ago when we were charged long distance calls at $0.60 per minute without including the local calling rate at $0.40 per minute. Once you add that all up, the bills became extremely costly. Is Koodo setting a precedent to continue moving backwards? 

Having Canada-wide calling and international texting in your plans should be the standard at this point.

11 replies

Userlevel 2

I have stated many times I am disappointed in this. I called Rogers a few hours ago and am capable in getting a much better plan cheaper than what I'm paying now. If Koodo reverses this decision I will stay with them. If Koodo continues forward with it I leave. 

I am definitely looking for another provider if Koodo does not reverse this!  My husband and I have been with Koodo for many years now and we had our son on our plan which he has his own plan now with his wife and I told my sister about Koodo which she had switched with them, told one of my aunt which she switched with them.  This is how you thank your faithful customers Koodo? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You guys should definitely leave if there’s no reason keeping you here. That’s the only way they’ll reverse this change. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I am definitely looking for another provider if Koodo does not reverse this!  My husband and I have been with Koodo for many years now and we had our son on our plan which he has his own plan now with his wife and I told my sister about Koodo which she had switched with them, told one of my aunt which she switched with them.  This is how you thank your faithful customers Koodo? 

Just to clarify, this does not impact your existing plans, just new customers of if you need to switch plans.

Also there is no guarantee that if you leave, that your new carrier doesnt adopt this too.  Personally i would always do a market scan when I need to change plans/ have needs change.  Leaving now if you are on an old plan wont really create any benefit for you unless your current plan doesnt work for you right now.

Userlevel 2

Just to clarify, this does not impact your existing plans, just new customers of if you need to switch plans.

Also there is no guarantee that if you leave, that your new carrier doesnt adopt this too.  Personally i would always do a market scan when I need to change plans/ have needs change.  Leaving now if you are on an old plan wont really create any benefit for you unless your current plan doesnt work for you right now.

Just to clarify, this does impact all of us. It won't impact us as long as you stay with current plan. But once you decide to change your plan that is where they will add that charge. And for those who don't know, some customers with legacy plans, it will effect them as I saw in an article

https://mobilesyrup.com/2021/02/23/koodo-increasing-some-legacy-plans-5/

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Just to clarify, this does impact all of us. It won't impact us as long as you stay with current plan. But once you decide to change your plan that is where they will add that charge. And for those who don't know, some customers with legacy plans, it will effect them as I saw in an article

You might want to actually READ artcles before using them to support your point. The changes to legacy plans are straight up price increases to bring prices in line with inflation. They have nothing to do with the switch to province wide plans.

Switching providers because at some undetermined point in the future you might not get a plan you like IF you want to change your plan is like opting for a pre-emptive colostomy because some day you MIGHT be diagnosed with colon cancer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

And at that point you are free to search the market for the best plan for you, up to and including leaving for a competitor.  Just saying there is no urgent cause to leave now.  And no guarantee that others wont adopt this in the next few months.  Meaning the trouble to move would be for not.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’m glad Koodo made the right choice. They listened to what we said and decided to revert all of their in-market rate plans back to Canada-wide calling and international messaging. https://mobilesyrup.com/2021/03/09/koodo-reverts-canada-wide-calling-provincial-calling-change/

Userlevel 2

@MilkyWay I was just about to post the same article lol it's awesome that they are listening to us regarding this change 😊

Userlevel 2

And of course a couple of days after I leave they announce it. Must have hit a nerve with my rant 😂

Userlevel 2

I don’t think they listened to anybody. The other carriers didn’t follow suit.