Koodo Community

Community

Implemented

Please get the Google Nexus 4

Please get the LG Google Nexus 4. I've been rocking my Koodo Nexus S for the 2 years now. It's time to upgrade. Thanks!

55 replies

Looks like play store (play.google.com) -> shop devices will have the Nexus 4 available for direct purchase on Nov 13. Just slip in your Koodo SIM and you are good to go. Edit for fun factor updated url: https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_4_16gb edit2: fix'd broken url.
Userlevel 1
Koodo will most probably not get this as it is a top-tier phone - and that's not Koodo's game. Sorry, bud. It would be awesome if they did, but realistically not happening. You're gonna have to shell out for this on your own if you want it.
Userlevel 6
Mo D. wrote:

Koodo will most probably not get this as it is a top-tier phone - and that's not Koodo's game. ...

Top-tier specs but mid-range price so it's possible since it's around the same price as the SGS2X & Nexus S...here's to hoping!
Mo D. wrote:

Koodo will most probably not get this as it is a top-tier phone - and that's not Koodo's game. ...

The phone comes unlocked for $369..So the shell out isn't the issue. Will Koodo be supporting the Nexus 4 on their network?
Mo D. wrote:

$359.99 for the phone in Canada, https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_4_16gb suggests it supports UMTS/HSPA+ in both the 850 and 1900 MHz range which is what Koodo uses for their voice/data communications - which is the same as Bell/Telus. Pretty well the rule of thumb is if the phone is bought in North America and has a SIM it will generally work on the Koodo/Bell/Telus network.
Mo D. wrote:

Thanks for the clarification Mark...We can finally we can get a "true" flagship android phone on Koodo 🙂
Mo D. wrote:

It is definitely a sweet device - hopefully they continue their trend of directly selling their yearly nexus phone offering via their play web store. General specs are completely nuts, and the price point is crazy!
Mo D. wrote:

The Blackberry Bold is selling for more than the Nexus 4 is right now, so I think there's a chance they will go for it. A very high tier Android phone for a low price could entice customers to go with Koodo.
Userlevel 6
Mo D. wrote:

Don't count on it going for cheap though. Online retailers as well as carriers like TMobile have confirmed that unless you get it from the Google Play Store it'll cost upwards of 499$.
Mo D. wrote:

Similar with Europe, non play store has the phone priced at (euro symbol)599 in Italy - I suspect it will not be offered through carriers in Canada. Apparently T-Mobile was the only one who was willing to offer the phone unmodified, the remainder of the companies just had to get their fingers into it. I suspect the same will be true for Canadian carriers and the play store would be the cheapest option.
Mo D. wrote:

go to Walmart i just got 2 phones from koodo nexus 4 and a.gift cert for  $100 dollars

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mo D. wrote:

Hey silver cloud this is a dead thread from over a year ago so there's no need to respond to it man. Congrats on the great deal however. Curious how much of the cost of each phone was put ontthe tab? I'm guessing $150 on the tab and $50 cash up front so the actual price of each phone was $200?
Userlevel 1
Good hints guys, but you never know with Kood, it always surprises his customers, who ever thoughts that Koodo will come with (LTE 4G) and Iphone 5, regarding Nexus 4, wait and see - did you forgot the word called competition, if others will bring it to their network, why not Koodo, he is a big fighter like his big Mascot .
Other than the Iphone5, name me a top tier phone that Koodo has offered.
Userlevel 1
Cast wrote:

+1. Moreover, the iPhone5 was a contractual obligation - if Koodo wanted to sell iPhones at ALL, they'd HAVE to sell iPhone5s.... So, Koodo isn't willingly stocking top-tier phones, never has, and hasn't shown inclination of it either, if their grand new phone announcement was the LG L3. Although.... now that the price of some of these new phones is closer to the $300 than the $600 mark, one can only hope....
Cast wrote:

Nexus S was a top tier phone when it came out.
Cast wrote:

JohnnyEch, was just going to say the same thing.
Userlevel 2
Cast wrote:

Three cheers for Koodo having a top tier phone briefly two years ago? Hip Hip Hooray... The whole iPhone thing is hilarious as well. Originally it was "we're different, we don't have contracts!" Then the iphone comes out. "Now we have contracts!"
Cast wrote:

Was it Top Tier when Koodo launched it? Nope. It was originally released on Dec22 2010. Koodo didn't get it until April 7 2011(which is odd, I thought they had it before that, but meh, moot point). So you're looking at atleast 4 months, which during that time I'm sure there was 1-2 other phones that came out that were ahead of the Nexus S. Granted, this is just from my point of view, I could have my facts slightly wrong. It's not to say that the Nexus S isn't a great phone, because it is. I still use it until I have enough money to switch to the S3.
That would be awesome if Koodo could bring this to their network and knock a few bucks off with the tab, or even a special term like the iphones have would be great.
Userlevel 2
Unfortunately we do know though. When Koodo is planning on bringing out a new phone that's somewhat decent, we're all made well aware of it and they have no problem confirming. Look at the iphone 5, we knew months ahead of time that it would be available, and they went out of their way to make splash pages on the website about it. The problem is though, we've only ever seen this with the iphone, because that's essentially the only "top-tier" phone they're ever brought out. When you ask about any other high end device, the S3/9900/Nokia 920, you're given the "we can't comment on future devices". It's pretty easy to read between the lines. It doesn't change anything of course, if you want a Nexus on Koodo you can easily bring it over, but expecting that Koodo will all of a sudden change their device lineup policy, when it's been pretty clear for years now that they aren't in the business of offering high end devices themselves, isn't really realistic. Also, Koodo isn't in the business of being competitive, they're in the business of trying to maximize profits for Telus. They aren't an independently owned and operated network, by design, Koodo exists to supplement the Telus portfolio, while taking potential customers from Bell and Rogers without infringing too much on Telus. If Koodo actually was an independent network, you'd certainly see a phone lineup to rival Rogers/Telus/Bell, because without it they'd be dead in the water.
mattjs wrote:

Unfortunately we do know though. When Koodo is planning on bringing out a new phone that's somew...

Koodo's goal has always been to offer affordable phones, not top tier phones. It's been like that from day 1. Koodo is competitive with the PLANs, not phones. If you REALLY want a specific phone, get it and unlock it.
Userlevel 2
mattjs wrote:

Unfortunately we do know though. When Koodo is planning on bringing out a new phone that's somew...

Of course you can do that, you can do that with ANY carrier. But every other carrier in this country offers competitive plans AND a competitive device lineup . Koodo doesn't. It makes perfect sense that people don't particularly like this policy.
mattjs wrote:

Its a good deal on the google play store, no tab but unlocked,
Userlevel 6
mattjs wrote:

The Google Play Store is the only place you'll get it for that price without a contract from a carrier because Google subsidizes it - makes 0$ profit from the purchase of the device.