Koodo Community

Community

Implemented

Phone Insurance

Userlevel 2
Phone insurance for lost/stolen and broken phones. A monthly service fee and then a small deductible if you need to replace your device.

22 replies

Userlevel 1
Some Koodo retailers like "Future Shop" are asking their customers if they want to take an 'Extended warranty", I do not know if Lost/stolen phones are covered with that warranty or not. Koodo will only cover broken phones if it's not a customer damage issue
Userlevel 1
How much would you be willing to pay on a monthly basis for that?
MatB wrote:

Some Koodo retailers like "Future Shop" are asking their customers if they want to take an 'Exten...

make sure that when you buy their extended warranty, they put it on the receipt. I paid for mine but they didn't put it on my receipt and when I took mine in to get examined they could.t help me.
Userlevel 1
MatB wrote:

Some Koodo retailers like "Future Shop" are asking their customers if they want to take an 'Exten...

I read entire posts on this question and it leads me to think that inseated of implementing Phone insurance, Koodo should think of going with Super Tab where customer can put money monthly to pay his phone and save more money to uppgrade his phone in case of lost/stolenphone
MatB wrote:

No. Supertab is essentially the same as paying off a contract. That is NOT Koodo's business idea with the Tab. The idea of the tab is to help make purchasing phones more affordable, not have a $400 tab that needs to be paid off if they cancel.
Userlevel 1
MatB wrote:

I understand Cast, I quote your last post saying "Koodo is not responsible for replacing lost/stolen phones" - user is the only person responsible in case of lost/stolen phone, so, this is not really something that is relevant to Koodo, we just have to take care of our phones and buy new one from our pockets.
MatB wrote:

Totally agree with this. Unfortunatelly, not all people believe in this. They feel that Koodo should give them a free phone regardless of how they handled the phone.
Userlevel 2
As an example, AT&T (yes I realize is US) offer insurance at $4.99 per month and a $50 deductible for regular phones and I think $100 for smart phones. Not valid on the IPhone.
I have to disagree with this idea. Here's why. Koodo is not responsibly for replacing lost/stolen phones. It is your obligation as the phone user to keep tabs(pun not intended) on your phone. Sure, they may credit your tab a bit to help you purchase a new phone, but ultimately it is your responsibility. Koodo is NOT about having additional "insurance" fees, and this would go against Koodo's..well, policy I guess would be the word, though I can't think of it right now.
Userlevel 5
Cast wrote:

I have to disagree with this idea. Here's why. Koodo is not responsibly for replacing lost/sto...

The one offered by AT&T is probably like Telus, it's actually provided by an outside company just billed as part of your bill. Here is their website. www.phoneclaim.com/telus $7 a month, and then depending on your device $40, $80, or $150 for a replacement. I don't see why Koodo couldn't offer it but with the cost of their devices and the tab it's not worth it for most devices.
I have the Best Buy coverage plan on my Blackberry 9320. It doesn't cover lost/stole or physical/liquid damage, but it is a lot more convenient for coverage and will cover me until my tab is paid off (about 2 years based on my plan). Basically, if anything goes wrong with my phone, I bring it to Best Buy and they'll give me a new phone on the spot!
That's a great idea, that would be something I would defiantly invest in 🙂
Userlevel 4
These phone insurances are usually a huge money grab. The profit margins are astronomical. And then they usually claim that there was "water damage" if you need a repair. (There is usually some humidity in the phone from sweat, rain, temperature changes, etc.)
Userlevel 5
Daniel AJ wrote:

These phone insurances are usually a huge money grab. The profit margins are astronomical. And th...

The Telus one (and Apple Care) cover water damage. Don't see why this would have to be different.
Userlevel 4
Daniel AJ wrote:

These phone insurances are usually a huge money grab. The profit margins are astronomical. And th...

Sure, if you throw more money at them. 🙂
Userlevel 5
Daniel AJ wrote:

Depending on the device this is still a good deal. 99 (for apple care) and 49 (for a replacement phone) beats buying an iphone for 699. Same deal with the telus one. 7 a month (with 36 months on a telus term) so 252 max there and 150 max for a replacement, $400 maximum is still better than 500+ that the newer high end phones end up costing. *knock on wood* but whatever I've never liquid damaged or physically damaged a phone so I do feel generally speaking people need to take better care of their stuff (I've got apple care on my 5 anyway though just in case...)
Daniel AJ wrote:

Bell's covers water damage, loss and theft for $10 a month. I would pay that in a heartbeat. My last phone fell into water and I got a new one but I was very lucky that I was near the end of my Tab time.
Personally my blackberry has a water damage strip that turns pink on both the phone and battery if water comes in contact with it so you could make an argument that its not true.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Android wrote:

Personally my blackberry has a water damage strip that turns pink on both the phone and battery i...

I don't like how those stickers are used, I got screwed before I knew about them I use to clean my phones with damp electronic wipes and made them turn color. Everyone thought when I tried to sell my device that it had water damage lol. It was so hard to convince someone otherwise. - KID ANDROID, ( Team.Android.Canada)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I used this type of service with Bell and it was great and worth the 7 bucks I think it was a month because it was the Galaxy Note I used it for and much better paying $150 deductible then another $800 for a new one. I smashed the glass front called the company the insurance was with and told them what happened and they had a refurbished one at my door withing 24hrs. You take the broken one put it in the box they sent the other one in and apply the postage sticker and done. On Koodo the price should be $5 a month because most devices offered are low to mid level devices.
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

I used this type of service with Bell and it was great and worth the 7 bucks I think it was a mon...

I definitely agree. I had a Moto x Play drop in a weird, very simple way and smashed the glass. It was replaced and to me in less than 24 hours! Problem is it was a refurbished phone and it was a piece of crap. Another time I would get it replaced too but I didn't this time. To me, they're replacing your phone with who knows what so they shouldn't be able to charge more than $5. That would feel much more reasonable to me. Personally I feel it shouldn't fall on the phone carrier but the phone 'maker' for some issues, but I guess that could get pretty complicated. For the incredibly extravagant price that's charged for these phone there should definitely be better coverage for phone problems.
Userlevel 3
Hey JB, Thanks for the idea and suggesting it here in the community. I have great news. We now have an Extended Warranty option for new phone purchases. You can take a look at all the details here. Hope this helps. Thanks again!