Koodo Community
Proposed

New Community Format

• 14 September 2018
  • 25 replies

Userlevel 4
I'm an old guy so change for me is a hassle lol. I like to read the postings, not that I have any problems, but because I learn things from the responses. What annoys me is that when you get to the bottom of the page and go to more posts and read one on the next page, when you go back you are taken back to the first page again. Same thing if you go to the third page and go back it takes you back to the first page again and you have to scroll through again to the page you left.

25 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I don't quite understand. When I search, and I reach the bottom of the page of results I click the next arrow to go to the next page without issue.
Userlevel 4
Dennis, I think Fred C. is referring to when you click on a post, read it, and then go back to the list of all posts, you are taken back to the first page instead of where you were before you clicked on the post.

Eg: If you are on page 5 and click on a post you want to read, when you are finished and go back to the listings, you end up on page 1 instead of page 5.

Fred C - I noticed this too. Hopefully they fix it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You can also right-click on a topic, and have it open in a new tab, then close the tab, and return to the point you were at in the list.
Userlevel 4
Dennis, I think Fred C. is referring to when you click on a post, read it, and then go back to the list of all posts, you are taken back to the first page instead of where you were before you clicked on the post.

Eg: If you are on page 5 and click on a post you want to read, when you are finished and go back to the listings, you end up on page 1 instead of page 5.

Userlevel 4
Thanks Lou, you described the problem better than I could.
Userlevel 4
You can also right-click on a topic, and have it open in a new tab, then close the tab, and return to the point you were at in the list.

Yes that is true. I am on my ipad so I can use long hold and open in new tab, but really shouldn’t have to navigate this way.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The entire site isn't intuitive to this type of community and I think Koodo made a big mistake switching away from Get Sat as it really made the community easy to understand, get around, get answers and participate. Now you have to draw out a line diagram in your head to remember where you were as you try to read responses to answers and follow that which could lead to nowhere and then you have to go back and find the second response and so on. I think it will lead to a bunch of parroted answers and slow down response times drastically if the first person answering doesn't put the correct answer immediately. Very sad to see Get Sat go, I wish they had of taken a poll of customers before making this change because it seems it looks nice but will definitely not be as effective as the only community... Hopefully this is like Google's wild experiments and thry ditch it and go back asap
Userlevel 4
I agree with you 100 % Paul. This new format is not an improvement. Just navigating to reply is a hassle. I guess eventually a person will figure it out but "Get Satisfaction" was so simple to use.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Just navigating to reply is a hassle. I guess eventually a person will figure it out
Simply click on the "x New Reply" and you will be taken to the replies added since you last viewed.

Get Satisfaction has been EOL'ed. Continuing with it was not an option.
Userlevel 4
My biggest gripe is there is no cookie or whatever that remembers your login via self serve.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

At the main Community Homepage, everything just appends to the bottom of one big page with the Show more activity box. Once you’ve clicked on a topic, and want to return to the main list, you have to Show More Activity all over again from the initial page. Rather amateurish.

Instead, go to Menu => Most Recent Topics to see them paginated 25 at a time. You can right click a topic, then dismiss the new tab and be back at your original spot with a page number anchored.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
My biggest gripe is there is no cookie or whatever that remembers your login via self serve.

@canucks4life Isn't it a separate login entirely for the community? It basically has to be, or else non-customers (prospective customers) wouldn't be able to register to ask questions or wouldn't be able to log in after cancelling an account if they had wanted to still participate in the community, etc.

re: Get Satisfaction--I had no particular love for it, I thought it was actually really too basic. It didn't even have tagging, a feature I use extensively on Lithium communities and I think some others. I'm not sure what to make of Insided just yet, to be honest. I'm actually really surprised Koodo didn't migrate to Lithium, which is in use at sibling brand Public Mobile (https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca) and parent company Telus (https://forum.telus.com/) as well as many other communities on the web. (Bose comes to mind as another one I frequent: https://community.bose.com/)
Userlevel 4

My biggest gripe is there is no cookie or whatever that remembers your login via self serve.@canucks4life Isn't it a separate login entirely for the community? It basically has to be, or else non-customers (prospective customers) wouldn't be able to register to ask questions or wouldn't be able to log in after cancelling an account if they had wanted to still participate in the community, etc.

re: Get Satisfaction--I had no particular love for it, I thought it was actually really too basic. It didn't even have tagging, a feature I use extensively on Lithium communities and I think some others. I'm not sure what to make of Insided just yet, to be honest. I'm actually really surprised Koodo didn't migrate to Lithium, which is in use at sibling brand Public Mobile (https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca) and parent company Telus (https://forum.telus.com/) as well as many other communities on the web. (Bose comes to mind as another one I frequent: https://community.bose.com/)

@srlawren Not sure looks like it is using an old profile for me since it shows Member since
12 November 2013...I tried to use regular login but didn't work have to choose self serve. Guess I'd probably have to create a new 'community' profile.

Agreed about the PM forums much preferred over current platform.
Badge +4

My biggest gripe is there is no cookie or whatever that remembers your login via self serve.@canucks4life Isn't it a separate login entirely for the community? It basically has to be, or else non-customers (prospective customers) wouldn't be able to register to ask questions or wouldn't be able to log in after cancelling an account if they had wanted to still participate in the community, etc.

It is a separate login from your self serve account. Not sure if that was what he meant.

As far as the new forum, not liking it right now. That could be because I'm not used to it and still learning it. Will give it a week.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The option to log in from self-serve does not exist for pre-paid customers although it appears as an option if your "new" login attempt using your old credentials does not work. Nor does trying to log in with your old email and changing your password via the email they send you stick. It works once, then fails on subsequent log-ins.

If they wanted to shake off a bunch of old users, they have done a decent job of it. Hate to say it, but fewer users means fewer complaints and maybe some suits will misinterpret that as a good thing.
Badge +4
Nor does trying to log in with your old email and changing your password via the email they send you stick. It works once, then fails on subsequent log-ins.

Yes, found this out from a post of yours earlier. If you ever log out you need to log back in using your username here. If you use your email address it wont work. Did about 5 password resets lol.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
In the spirit of getting some things fixed or improved, may as well make a laundry list here rather than having everything scattered...

Don't see any option to delete a reply or post made in error.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Try 'Remember Me.'
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
In the spirit of getting some things fixed or improved, may as well make a laundry list here rather than having everything scattered...

Yeah, deleting posts to which replies have been made is really bad etiquette, and discouraged in various ways. You can, of course, edit your reply to 'Content deleted for " if you wish to remove content.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Nor does trying to log in with your old email and changing your password via the email they send you stick. It works once, then fails on subsequent log-ins.

Yes, found this out from a post of yours earlier. If you ever log out you need to log back in using your username here. If you use your email address it wont work. Did about 5 password resets lol.

@BobTheElectrician @Mats actually this is wrong! I ran into this too, until I finally realized the issue. In the old system, you could log in using your email address and password, but in the new system, it's username and password. I updated my password manager with the new password when I reset it as instructed, but didn't notice it was trying to log me in via my email and the form now asks for username. After a few failed attempts and a couple of password resets, I noticed, updated my password manager to use my "srlawren" username instead, and BAM I was in.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

. After a few failed attempts and a couple of password resets, I noticed, updated my password manager to use my "srlawren" username instead, and BAM I was in.

This is a nice find, I was wondering about that issue also....
Badge +4

@BobTheElectrician @Mats actually this is wrong! I ran into this too, until I finally realized the issue. In the old system, you could log in using your email address and password, but in the new system, it's username and password. I updated my password manager with the new password when I reset it as instructed, but didn't notice it was trying to log me in via my email and the form now asks for username. After a few failed attempts and a couple of password resets, I noticed, updated my password manager to use my "srlawren" username instead, and BAM I was in.

Isn't that what I said?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yeah, deleting posts to which replies have been made is really bad etiquette, and discouraged in various ways. You can, of course, edit your reply to 'Content deleted for " if you wish to remove content.

Once a comment is made, sure... but sometimes you can misread a question or realize your advice is off the mark. If it hasn't been read, there should be no problem deleting it as was possible in the old forum. Re: editing: that option disappears pretty quickly, even if there are no comments or quotes.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Despite all notifications being tagged as OFF in username's profile preferences, somebody using the tag @username in a post generates an automatic email to username.

Userlevel 4

At the main Community Homepage, everything just appends to the bottom of one big page with the Show more activity box. Once you’ve clicked on a topic, and want to return to the main list, you have to Show More Activity all over again from the initial page. Rather amateurish.

Instead, go to Menu => Most Recent Topics to see them paginated 25 at a time. You can right click a topic, then dismiss the new tab and be back at your original spot with a page number anchored.

Thanks BobTheElectrician. Starting from the Menu - Most Recent Topics works. I didn’t even notice the little menu Icon before you pointed it out.