Koodo Community
Proposed

Need a more robust 'live' customer support

• 3 September 2020
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 7

Just read this week’s customer issues. Customers are frustrated because they cannot get solutions from digital tools for (even slightly) complicated issues. Those who asked for a callback and spoke to a ‘live’ agents, were able to solve their problems. Digital tools are still effective in leading you to the website section that addresses simple, straight forward questions. To reduce customer frustration and solve problems efficiently, you need to augment the number of ‘live’ agents and use them to solve problems that cannot be solved by (the current generation of) digital search tools. 

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The majority of people I've seen who complain about the virtual assistant have already decided ahead of time that the only thing that will help is a live agent, and thus refuse to even interact with it. It's not difficult to schedule a callback via koodo assist, but you do have to answer a couple of questions first.

Userlevel 7

People don’t like using the virtual assistant because it does not helpful to resolve issues other than pointing to limited sections that are covered by its scope. Until such tools are improved, live agents are the solution. My point is that the demand for live agents cannot be supported by the limited number of support agents. I hope that Koodo will increase the number of live agents to meet the customer demand

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

A couple things to point out here:

1. Its a very busy time of the year for phone sales and with everything covid related places are still understaffed. I'm sure there are ways to improve but there are also just a lot of things going on from a business stand point.

2. Koodo is primarily a self serve brand. I personally always expect a very self serve experience, if I need help from a rep I have it, but I may have to wait a bit for it. If I ever become unsatisfied with that experience, I know that I can move up the ranks to Telus who will provide a more premium customer service experience, due to being the premium brand.

3. The comments we see here are a small selection of what goes on. While we might get flooded on the community with comments about how things aren't working, we don't get to see all the people who are helped perfectly fine with the systems already in place. So while it may seem like an overwhelming amount of people aren't getting helped, in reality most are.

Userlevel 7

Some counter and complementary points (last ones, I promise!)

1. COVID-19 make it less likely for people to get support at your stores and there is more demand for good online support that may not be adequately addressed.
  2. To be reliant on self-service you have to provide adequate online tools. You are not there yet and the online tools need to be made more robust (AI and up to date contents). Until you get there, live support is required to meet the under served customer support demand
  3. I do understand that the community sees mostly the problems & concerns and believe (and hope) that the overall picture is rosier.  I still believe that you need to look at the major concerns that are raised by customers and address them to help Koodo move forward. BTW, I joined Koodo recently because of its strengths (mainly network infrastructure and prices), knowing that I can find solutions by myself to most issues encountered.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I suspect the callback spots are also being overwhelmed right now by people who feel they should be entitled to the 5GB of bonus data promotion without having to purchase a new phone. This means that instead of solving actual issues reps have to argue with customers who expect the rules to be bent just for them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I suspect the callback spots are also being overwhelmed right now by people who feel they should be entitled to the 5GB of bonus data promotion without having to purchase a new phone. This means that instead of solving actual issues reps have to argue with customers who expect the rules to be bent just for them.

Do you really think the existing users think they are “entitled” to the promotion? Why are you putting the blame on the customers for getting what they could have gotten as a new customer? I think Koodo is somewhat at fault here for not providing a better way to remedy the situation.

The problem here is that Koodo requires a hardware upgrade for existing customers to get the promotion, whereas a new customer can simply sign up on a BYOD plan. Sure, you might say why don’t the users just switch to another carrier? Well, perhaps they were happy with the service Koodo provided for them and actually wanted to make things right before they actually decide to leave the carrier. Once they are gone, it’s extremely difficult to get them back on Koodo. Potential loss of revenue that cannot be recouped when it could have been solved with a click of a button.

Frankly speaking, Koodo could have added this plan as an option on the Self Serve portal to prevent a backlog of calls of users looking to get the bonus data. I bet other existing customers on Fido and Virgin are doing the same thing. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Do you really think the existing users think they are “entitled” to the promotion? Why are you putting the blame on the customers for getting what they could have gotten as a new customer? I think Koodo is somewhat at fault here for not providing a better way to remedy the situation.

The problem here is that Koodo requires a hardware upgrade for existing customers to get the promotion, whereas a new customer can simply sign up on a BYOD plan. Sure, you might say why don’t the users just switch to another carrier? Well, perhaps they were happy with the service Koodo provided for them and actually wanted to make things right before they actually decide to leave the carrier. Once they are gone, it’s extremely difficult to get them back on Koodo. Potential loss of revenue that cannot be recouped when it could have been solved with a click of a button.

Frankly speaking, Koodo could have added this plan as an option on the Self Serve portal to prevent a backlog of calls of users looking to get the bonus data. I bet other existing customers on Fido and Virgin are doing the same thing. 

Unfortunately this is standard practice.  Promo plans are for new activations and upgrades.  This is the same for Virgin and Fido too

https://www.virginmobile.ca/en/plans/postpaid.html#!/INST8/research

https://www.fido.ca/nac/choose-plan?type=byod

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Unfortunately this is standard practice.  Promo plans are for new activations and upgrades.  This is the same for Virgin and Fido too

https://www.virginmobile.ca/en/plans/postpaid.html#!/INST8/research

https://www.fido.ca/nac/choose-plan?type=byod

Sure, it’s standard practice, and no one is stopping Koodo. However, it’s inevitable that people are going to call customer service to try to get the same plan as the new customers. 

This is something Koodo could fix. Putting the blame on existing users for calling and holding up the line is a fallacy. For those reasons, I strongly disagree with Timo.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I never said they feel they ARE entitled. I said they feel they SHOULD BE. There's a significant difference.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@nim4165 Thanks for sharing your thoughts! It is always welcome!  @Allan M’s 3rd point is a significant one. Whether we like or not humans are wired to gravitate towards the negative. :-( Especially on social media. And Community Forums  (for many brands) are particularly vulnerable to this imbalance.  Most people only share their negative experiences.  Behind the scenes we do see a fuller picture that allows us to check the sentiment of our entire customer base. Are we perfect? Absolutely not! But, there are a lot of customers who like many of the tools we developed and have no problem getting what they need. 

Indeed, during this time of the year, in general, we have a larger number of inquiries driven by many things.  Part of the challenge is that we still have significant volumes around basic transactions that are readily and easily available to users via our digital tools, however some people, since they love the call back feature, set up  calls for them.  An address change, balance look up and so on are super easy to do online without the need for a rep. However, when these callbacks get reserved it does take away slots from others who indeed would benefit from a rep’s help. 

I understand, that the above may not be the answer you might have been looking for. However, given we are a business  (part of a public company) we aim to find the best possible balance to run as efficiently as we can. Simply adding more and more reps unfortunately cannot be the solution.  Pls continue to share your thoughts as we do appreciate all feedback. Even if we don’t always agree! :-)